E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a small whistle noise when turning the steering wheel? I thought it sounded like it was coming from behind the steering wheel, but last night I had it on a lift and when I turned the wheel I can hear it coming from the steering column inside the engine compartment.

The steering feels smooth and more of an annoyance at this point but don't want to neglect it if it is an indicator of something going bad.

thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
194 Posts
i dont know what bmw calls it but GM calls it an intermediate shaft. its the piece that connects the upper and lower steering shafts, and it has a u-joint on it. it should be located pretty close to the firewall. it could be either side[of said firewall], all cars are different. theres that u-joint which you can lube. also lube all the rubber grommets that the shaft goes through, and if there are any bearings do these as well. on the motor side of the firewall it should be pretty easy access but on the cabin side you willl have to take apart the underside of the dash on the drivers side. i would use lithium grease on all the affected parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steering column squeak

no haven't resolved it, a spray lube (Wurth) not sure if it was lithium seemed to help the u-joint but it was like a cat, it came back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts