E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Soooo I just read this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378725. If a Sprint Booster is such a simple device, would it be possible to make a simple version of one for fractions of the price? :hmm: Maybe you could even make one that has adjustable amounts of throttle change?
I think you should give er a shot! Id be interested in picking one up off of you if you figured it out

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you should give er a shot! Id be interested in picking one up off of you if you figured it out
I'd try if I knew more about electronics. Although if there's anybody out there with one who's willing to take theirs apart and post a description of the innards I could probably make one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Idk how good Mango is with electronics and he most definately doesn't own one, but maybe some other mod or someone with extensive electrical background could chime in?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm working on a modification with mine at the moment. The best way to accomplish a variable sprint booster would be to attach a rheostat to an existing one, although that means you still have to buy the unit. NumbaOneNewb would be someone to talk to about this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm working on a modification with mine at the moment. The best way to accomplish a variable sprint booster would be to attach a rheostat to an existing one, although that means you still have to buy the unit. NumbaOneNewb would be someone to talk to about this.
Excuse my if ignorance as I don't own a sprint booster, but does it not already have 3 or so different levels of responsiveness? Are they just too big of a jump between levels?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Excuse my if ignorance as I don't own a sprint booster, but does it not already have 3 or so different levels of responsiveness? Are they just too big of a jump between levels?

There is the normal mode that the car is set up for, then a middle mode, and a top mode with no computer restriction. I think the levels are fine but I have other ideas for it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You don't have to mess with the ecu? If not couldn't you just tear apart the gas pedal and modify the rheostat that's in there or just replace it with a custom one?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There is the normal mode that the car is set up for, then a middle mode, and a top mode with no computer restriction. I think the levels are fine but I have other ideas for it.
Wouldn't it be killer if there was an analog knob (like a guitar tone knob) installed somewhere on the dash that allowed you to fine-tune the amount of signal amplification??!!

Sent from my C6606 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
328 Posts
You don't have to mess with the ecu? If not couldn't you just tear apart the gas pedal and modify the rheostat that's in there or just replace it with a custom one?

Nope, read the link op posted. It will clarify a bunch for you. What we are talking about is 1. Adding some sore of custom adjuster to precisely dial in how "aggressive" the throttle response is and 2. Taking a sprint booster apart, analyzing it, and building your own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Nah, as far as I understand the Sprint Booster is a device that amplifies the signal that your pedal input sends to the ecu. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Wouldn't it be killer if there was an analog knob (like a guitar tone knob) installed somewhere that allowed you to fine-tune the amount of signal amplification??!!

Yes it would but what I have in mind doesn't work with that unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
So what do you have in mind? :D

I currently have 4 buttons on my DSC row and I want all of them. I'm adding HK, tire pressure, and sport button from an M3. I'm modifying the sprint booster to work with the sport button so that it will take the place of the ugly controller button supplied.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently have 4 buttons on my DSC row and I want all of them. I'm adding HK, tire pressure, and sport button from an M3. I'm modifying the sprint booster to work with the sport button so that it will take the place of the ugly controller button supplied.
Sounds like a good idea! Maybe you could even add an led to show which sprint booster mode you're in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm not very good with electronics at all, but if you took the sprint booster apart, I'm assuming it's buttons are they exact same style as the the one you have for a keyboard key, all the button does when engaged is complete the circuit, (grade 6 science class woot) you could solder a button in place of the current one through x amount of wire to the place where you want it mounted and hide the unit itself behind the dash.

Please don't quote me on that and my knowledge is EXTREMELY superficial, but that is how I would go about it

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm actually going to swap the red and green LEDs into the sport button. It normally lights up yellow green like heated seats. What I'm going to do is use the original controller and extend wires from the connections on the circuit board to the circuit board behind the sport button. The hardest part is making the connections on a circuit board the size of that sport button. In addition, I have to figure out a way to make the button light up with the rest of the dash lights.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm actually going to swap the red and green LEDs into the sport button. It normally lights up yellow green like heated seats. What I'm going to do is use the original controller and extend wires from the connections on the circuit board to the circuit board behind the sport button. The hardest part is making the connections on a circuit board the size of that sport button. In addition, I have to figure out a way to make the button light up with the rest of the dash lights.
I think you are really over thinking this whole process. Idk what the connections are like for size on the back of the sport buttons, but I'm sure they are just male ends that you can connect female ones to and voila

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Nope unfortunately not. It's a circuit board and it's not even an inch wide. It's literally the size of the button it sits behind. I have to solder directly to the connections but isolate then from each other.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nope unfortunately not. It's a circuit board and it's not even an inch wide. It's literally the size of the button it sits behind. I have to solder directly to the connections but isolate then from each other.
Oh dear god. You should make a trip down to china town and find one of those kids that will paint your name on a grain if rice to do it for you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts