BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 325xi here. I didn't want to clutter the suspension sticky with this one: Has anyone ever deliberately omitted the front spring pads? I want the few millimeters in height gone. I know it'll be less comfortable, possibly some unwanted noise, but checking the consensus anyway. I have the Eibach lowering springs already.

Hope all's well out there!

·
Registered
60 Posts
'02 325xi here. I didn't want to clutter the suspension sticky with this one: Has anyone ever deliberately omitted the front spring pads? I want the few millimeters in height gone. I know it'll be less comfortable, possibly some unwanted noise, but checking the consensus anyway. I have the Eibach lowering springs already.

Hope all's well out there!
Any particular reason to remove spring pads instead of going other route? You can get drop hats, they fit nicely with Eibach springs, you can check difference between them here. I have also posted car photo with Eibach + drop hats. Other option would be strut mounts from e90 xi, p/n 31336775097 Thread link

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning! Thank you very much for this information; I never knew about these options.

I really just want to get rid of the pads to lower the front more and maybe get a stiffer handling feel in corners and turns.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used to drive prototype cars for a living, and they often didn't have niceties like carpet, rubber body mounts, and rubber shock tower isolators. You will likely end up with a crazy amount of noise and vibration during 100% of your driving in return for essentially a near zero difference in handling only benefitting you in the 1/200th of a second of a harsh steering input. I would not recommend it, especially with an Xi that has gear and axle noise up front versus a 2WD. If you do this, it might be instructive to get a free decibel app on your iPhone so you can give others the higher noise level input to help them decide if they'd put up with that as well. But if stiffer handling feel is your goal, I do not believe you'd feel a difference without a test lab, but you WILL feel a huge difference in ride harshness and noise. One thing you might ponder is the role of a vertical isolator in the lateral movement of a car and you'll see there is near zero connection between these items. YMMV

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a pretty cool job!

I did put them back in without the rubber and I do see a difference in height and it does seem a bit stiffer and definitely not as comfortable, but I'll ride like this for a bit - changing the springs is getting old!

What is a vertical idolator? And thank you very much for your help and feedback!

·
Registered
425 Posts
The rubber at the top of a shock/strut deflects vertically under the vertical loads of the component its isolating. Steering is a lateral load on the vehicle. So by removing a vertical isolating component, you will have near nil impact on the crispness of a lateral or horizontal movement of the vehicle. If you replaced the horizontally flexing bushings in the steering rack with delrin plastic or steel, you'd achieve crisper feeling steering.

Yes it was fun driving prototypes but a lot of downsides. You don't have your daily stuff (CDs, flashlight, a multi tool, etc), sometimes parts come off (steering wheel once), and to collect data sometimes you have to ask your date how much she weighs and enter it into the dash electronics (early airbag passenger seat sensors). But sometimes you get out of tickets when the officer sees the EPA/DOT/NHTSA waivers you carry in your wallet, or you are sitting on the wrong side of the car. Great times.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent information 👍Thank you!

If we're talking steering, what are your thoughts on an upgraded sway bar and adjustable links? No track time in my xi's future, just thinking of the lateral motion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts