BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
That's the diff and if memory serves, that'd be about where I'd expect the drain plug to be. I keep forgetting, but either diff or trans. gets a crush washer on that plug. For now, tighten it and see what you get...not crazy tight though...search for torque on it. Maybe 40-50 lbs., if I was guessing. Of course, if I'm right, you'll also sort of want to get it raised, level, and check the level from the fill plug, unless you know it's just started.

Usually, you remove fill plug first, so if you have issues with drain plug, you can still drive it...after returning fill plug, of course.

Realoem.com will tell you if you need crush washer there, coz if the tightening doesn't work, then try crush washer...which means a drain. If the level is fine, just tighten a little, keep your eye on it. There's only a qt. of fluid in the diff.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so i dont even have the washers on there. I did do the differential fluid change 25k miles ago. Either I forgot to put the washers on or the plugs never had any to begin with.

man id hate to do another drain and refill since that fluid was pretty expensive! Hopefully though all i need is a simple washer to stop the leak.

anyways for anyone else that may be interested:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=33_1034&hg=33&fg=10

·
/// Limitless
3,506 Posts
yeah there should be some aluminum crush washers on there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I did my change I bought new plugs that came with an o-ring on the plug. The dealer told me not to use the washers with the plug. I didnt put them on and I have a similar leak. :confused:
Now when you go to him hes going to tell you that you must have messed up and need to pay him money to fix your mistake...

Said mistake: Taking his advice.

·
Registered
899 Posts
so i dont even have the washers on there. I did do the differential fluid change 25k miles ago. Either I forgot to put the washers on or the plugs never had any to begin with.

man id hate to do another drain and refill since that fluid was pretty expensive! Hopefully though all i need is a simple washer to stop the leak.

anyways for anyone else that may be interested:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=33_1034&hg=33&fg=10
What fluid are you using? I've used Red Line Synthetic Differential Fluid and it only takes a quart. It's only $13/quart

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What fluid are you using? I've used Red Line Synthetic Differential Fluid and it only takes a quart. It's only $13/quart
Using royal purple at the moment but when I get the new plugs and washers i'm switching to to red line...$13 sounds good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Let me know how you like Red line, been using Royal Purple myself. I like it but I heard good things about red line.. Most dealers dont even sell the drain plugs, apparently its "life time fluid." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know how you like Red line, been using Royal Purple myself. I like it but I heard good things about red line.. Most dealers dont even sell the drain plugs, apparently its "life time fluid." :rolleyes:
Just picked up the drain plug and washers today from the dealer. Unfortunately I cant find my damn 14mm hex bit (tore up my garage looking for it).

FYI the washers are the same size as the plugs so you can't tell from the outside whether they are on or not. I'm pretty sure I did put the washers on there when I last changed the fluid. Not sure why its leaking but I can't really do anything until I find my 14mm hex bit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just picked up the drain plug and washers today from the dealer. Unfortunately I cant find my damn 14mm hex bit (tore up my garage looking for it).

FYI the washers are the same size as the plugs so you can't tell from the outside whether they are on or not. I'm pretty sure I did put the washers on there when I last changed the fluid. Not sure why its leaking but I can't really do anything until I find my 14mm hex bit.
If your car was not leveled when you were filling it up, likely you filled a little too much and like someone mentioned it will get rid of the extra through a hole. I am hoping its either that or washer failed, or you somehow forgot to put it. Dont forget to torque the plugs if you can, thats always good for washer and the plug..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts