BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hehe dont knwo if this is suppose to be here or off topic, but last night i finally tried the sports mode on my car around 2am when theres not alot of cars, and at a stop light i just floored it, and DSC turned on and i got up to 5500rpm!! i didnt know an auto can go up that high, hhhehe:D :D :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
If memory serves me right...while @Raceway park, while in sports mode and manual, the computer redlined everygear....:bow: it was an experience i'll never forget...with my step 330 i managed to push out 15.22 with my DSC on(someone earlier said they DSC slows the car dowbn by 0.6, hmmm damn there's no way i can expect to pull a 14.7 stock), this was last year b4 i knew what the hell DCS was....so March 1'st i'm trying it on with DSC off, then puttin' on my ECIS and my remus.....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Finally tried? wow. In my step I've redlined at 6500 which is my new all time high. Do a search on my Electronic Throttle Adaptation reset procedures, this will do more for you than turning DSC off. DSC has less of a effect on throttle than the adaptation itself. DSC will only interrupt the throttle if slippage occurs. I'd recommend you drive the car a little harder, 5500 RPM is very low and 5500 rpm in what gear? 1st? 5th? You should be redlining near the same in each gear unless your car is severly adapted to your slow driving habits.

Your a prime candidate to reset throttle adaptation since it sounds like you've been "Drivin Miss Daisy".

flagman5 said:
hehe dont knwo if this is suppose to be here or off topic, but last night i finally tried the sports mode on my car around 2am when theres not alot of cars, and at a stop light i just floored it, and DSC turned on and i got up to 5500rpm!! i didnt know an auto can go up that high, hhhehe:D :D :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm sure he meant that he didn't expect the sport mode shiftpoints went that high. I think in normal drive mode, it auto shifts for me around 4k or so.

Jspeed said:

Huh? :huh: The engine can hit redline regardless of whether you have auto or manual.

·
has 1 FLY Ci
2,020 Posts
Chase265 said:

not this crap again....:tsk:

oh, I always drive in sport..car feels alot more responsive

i just hate, i dont appreciate

j/k i have a step also and those who do and don't drive it in sport mode might as well light themselves on fire

·
Registered
128 Posts
I always drive in sport mode as well....D for me would be used for long *** freeway trips.

·
Registered
50 Posts
have you guys noticed much better gas mileage driving in d versus sport mode? i've tried both in city driving and i get 20.5 mpg either way. shoots up to 27 mpg when driving all highway in sport mode though. haven't had the chance to see what my gas mileage driving all highway in d is yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that the reason your gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected is due to the fact that the way you drive is the same whether you are in D or SPORT. When in sport mode, the gears shift at higher RPM compared to D MODE thus allow you to rocket down the road if so desired. But if you drive like a geriatrics patient regardless of what mode you are in your gas mileage won't be affected.;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Grey330ci said:
I think that the reason your gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected is due to the fact that the way you drive is the same whether you are in D or SPORT. When in sport mode, the gears shift at higher RPM compared to D MODE thus allow you to rocket down the road if so desired. But if you drive like a geriatrics patient regardless of what mode you are in your gas mileage won't be affected.;)
hahaha, you're probably right. i have a 40 mile commute each way for work, with 30 miles of it on the 405 in rush hour traffic. freaking sucks. so i guess sport mode makes absolutely no difference for that section. as for normal driving, i've noticed that my step seems to shift around 4k rpms whether i'm in sport or d. then again, i'm not flooring it coming out of every single traffic light. i've learned not to do that since you look like an idiot blowing out of the blocks when it's a green light only to get stuck at the very next traffic light and have the same car pull up next to you w/ the guy shaking his head at you. :lmao:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jspeed said:

Huh? :huh: The engine can hit redline regardless of whether you have auto or manual.
no on my 94 camry, i cannot get above anything over 4, it just wont let me

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:

Your a prime candidate to reset throttle adaptation since it sounds like you've been "Drivin Miss Daisy".

of course man i properly break in my engines...i wanan keep my baby healthy, me love her long long time

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Coming from a background of driving 5 spd's all my life, the BMW step is :thumbup:

An interesting thing I've noticed is that when you have it in sports mode the car will rev-match while you are on the turns or pressing steadily on the gas. I thought this was cool because it feels like the sports mode acknowledges how much you are stepping onto the gas, hanging onto the gear at high rev when you need the power, especially on tight turns.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts