E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap), 1995 Harley FXSTS
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, sorry if this is a scrub question, but I wanted to know (and couldn't really find info on) if it was possible to use front shocks "for sport suspension" on a car with stock (non-sport) ride height? These are the shocks in question.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325i-M54_2.5L/Suspension/Shocks/ES2770921/

And also, are all rear shocks the same, between sport and non-sport models? The matching rear set on ECS' website don't specify if they are for sport or non-sport.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325i-M54_2.5L/Suspension/Shocks/ES2771061/

I was considering doing a Koni Yellows or some such, but the roads here in Orlando are pretty terrible, and my car is my DD, which I drive from one end of the city to another in. I've also not ever been in my car with new/factory shocks and struts, but for $330, Bilstein's B4's are supposed to be about 10% firmer than stock, which is pretty much exactly what I'm going for.

Anyways, any thoughts? I also plan on getting a set of sport springs, if I feel I can do that and maintain comfort, but it's a decision I want to make after feeling the car with new shocks/struts.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I think you should be okay. Maybe a little bit more wear on the struts but no big deal

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
24,136 Posts
you're going to want matching "sport" springs. the non-sport are taller.

there are specific sport shocks for the rear (and non-sport) if that's what you're asking.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^even through colonial/all the construction on I-4? It's been killing me lately, especially the construction on fl-50.

anyways, I went with the bilstein sport package oem replacements, so now i'm to find some springs to drop the car a half or three quarters inch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
anyways, I went with the bilstein sport package oem replacements, so now i'm to find some springs to drop the car a half or three quarters inch.
If you're going to be doing the springs, I'd assume you're ordering now to install everything together? That's your best bet, as it's going to be a pain to redo the labor all over again otherwise (specifically the fronts).

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,599 Posts
^even through colonial/all the construction on I-4? It's been killing me lately, especially the construction on fl-50.

Honestly I was on 50 near Waterford last week and it was rough. I'm slightly north around UCF and it's not as bad up here.

Anyway I'd also get the reinforcement plates to go with the new shocks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, I plan on hunting around for some sport package springs, or looking for info on aftermarket springs of similar spec. If I can't find any, I don't terribly mind doing the job twice, and it'll let me see if things are satisfactory for me in terms of comfort.

And yeah, 50 just west of waterford is pretty rough. My car now takes it alright, but I am just a touch concerned about dropping it that half to 3/4 inch that sport springs do.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,599 Posts
Yup, I plan on hunting around for some sport package springs, or looking for info on aftermarket springs of similar spec. If I can't find any, I don't terribly mind doing the job twice, and it'll let me see if things are satisfactory for me in terms of comfort.

And yeah, 50 just west of waterford is pretty rough. My car now takes it alright, but I am just a touch concerned about dropping it that half to 3/4 inch that sport springs do.
I have sport springs off my car. $50 and they're yours.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can hold off a week or two, I'll take them. Just paid my tuition for this term lol

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Orb, I'm PMing you about the springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.