E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
Will there be any issues driving in Sport mode permanently, besides fuel economy?
No, other than I can imagine the driveshaft and associated parts might wear out slightly faster. Owing to the increased torque over time.

OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
Will there be any issues driving in Sport mode permanently, besides fuel economy?
you might start to think your car is fast and you have balls back. but neither will be true.
馃槤 I keed I keed

Reactions: Nicholas330i

Registered
I have ess step software ,don't even think they make it anymore

That said ,I've never put it in sport mode

I'd be careful with a zf ,they aren't as strong as the gm

Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
Never knew that there was an option for driving in sport mode! This is going to be my default now.
Great source of knowledge this site and I'm continuing my education on my car. It never ceases to surprise me what the options are.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Never knew that there was an option for driving in sport mode! This is going to be my default now.
Great source of knowledge this site and I'm continuing my education on my car. It never ceases to surprise me what the options are.
Yep! Shift into drive, and then to the left. You'll see an "S D" display on the gauge cluster.

Registered
This! It's counterintuitive.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I'll say it again. Look it up, two wires in the shifter can be switched. Now it goes +/- the way YOU want it.

Registered
I received a couple of PM's about why the driveshaft etc. could wear out slightly faster is using sport mode all the time. Thought I'd answer here.

The DME and EGS work together to help provide smooth shifts.
In normal mode, with each approaching shift, the EGS notifies the DME "Hey I'm about to change gears, can I ask that you pull the ignition timing back a few degrees and when I'm done with the shift I'll let you know." The DME obliges and the shift is less firm and smooth. The ignition timing returns to normal.

In sport mode that conversation never happens and full fuel/timing is left alone and the shifts are very crisp and ever so slightly faster.
This gives slightly more power during each and every shift. Over the long run, it will put a slight bit more stress into the driveline. Nothing worrisome, but it's there.

Registered
2000 330Ci auto
I'll say it again. Look it up, two wires in the shifter can be switched. Now it goes +/- the way YOU want it.
Just did this myself 20 mins ago, much more natural! BMW went back to the more 'normal' setup with the facelifted autos...

Registered
2000 330Ci auto
Have you got a link for that, please?
There is probably a guide on this forum, but the one I used was this:

Registered
Must've missed it. Interesting.

Is this something that might be in the Bentley's manual or searchable here how to do?

NVM...I just saw the link above.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts