E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 330i with the ZF steptronic transmission and I go between regular drive mode and sport mode often. What exactly does the sport mode do? It obviously feels more connected and sporty. I know it hold revs higher, but is there anything else aside from that? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
I have a 2003 330i with the ZF steptronic transmission and I go between regular drive mode and sport mode often. What exactly does the sport mode do? It obviously feels more connected and sporty. I know it hold revs higher, but is there anything else aside from that? Thanks!

The ONLY thing that happens is that the program changes so that the engine revs higher before the next shift, and it downshifts quicker.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
Sport Mode:

In normal driving at each and every shift (take 2 to 3 as an example) the EGS is constantly communicating with the DME and the EGS asks the DME: "Hey, I'm about to do a shift from 2 to 3. Can you do me a favor and reduce the ignition timing 10° and when I'm done I'll let you know." DME obliges and after it done, the ignition timing goes back up to normal.
This happens with each and every shift, mostly for comfort.

In sport mode, the ignition timing is not reduced. Also any pedal travel beyond 66% will have the line pressure of the transmission raised so that the shifts are slightly faster & crisper.

HTH?

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
It's just confusing as compared to every other automatic with a manual mode, the + and - are backwards - I've messed that up a couple of times :giggle:
The earlier steptronics (pre-2002?) had it the opposite, with + push forward to shift up and - pull back to shift down. You can actually retrofit this old style fairly easily. I think it is more intuitive.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
The earlier steptronics (pre-2002?) had it the opposite, with + push forward to shift up and - pull back to shift down. You can actually retrofit this old style fairly easily. I think it is more intuitive.
Several writeups about this.
Want to change it?
Switch two wires.

·
Registered
2000 330Ci auto
544 Posts
That's what I mean, it's what I have in my 2000, it's the only car I've ever driven that has it this way which feels the wrong way round for me....

·
Registered
2000 330Ci auto
544 Posts
Several writeups about this.
Want to change it?
Switch two wires.
I've just discovered this, fantastic, I will be doing the mod this weekend. I can also swap the selector surround for a later model so that the + and - match up (y)

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
543 Posts
Do you need to manually upshift the box in manual mode or will it do that on its own still?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sport Mode:

In normal driving at each and every shift (take 2 to 3 as an example) the EGS is constantly communicating with the DME and the EGS asks the DME: "Hey, I'm about to do a shift from 2 to 3. Can you do me a favor and reduce the ignition timing 10° and when I'm done I'll let you know." DME obliges and after it done, the ignition timing goes back up to normal.
This happens with each and every shift, mostly for comfort.

In sport mode, the ignition timing is not reduced. Also any pedal travel beyond 66% will have the line pressure of the transmission raised so that the shifts are slightly faster & crisper.

HTH?
That is exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
Do you need to manually upshift the box in manual mode or will it do that on its own still?

Yes, you must manually shift up. Well, it might avoid going to red line and force the shift instead of explode, but the whole point of manual mode is that you get to higher revs than the automatic would do. It won't downshift unless you slow so low as to make 5th gear nonsensical. It won't start from a Stop sign in 5th, I think it goes to 2nd if you don't shift down as you slow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will there be any issues driving in Sport mode permanently, besides fuel economy?
I tend to drive in sport mode more than regular drive. Only thing I notice is fuel consumption. Maybe one of the gurus on here will shed some more light on possible issues. You might want to try looking on the forum, too. I remember someone asking that question a while back. 👍

1 - 20 of 36 Posts