E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new member here. I have a 2002 330ci and I walked out to my car today and found that the windows were all halfway down and both the doors were unlocked. My keys were with me the whole time and I'm positive I didn't unlock my doors myself. Anyone else have this issue or know what this could be? Car just rolled over 100k.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This happens on occasion to me... But usually with unlocking and popping the trunk. Or setting off the alarm. You sat down and accidentally pressed the unlock button and it stuck. By pressing unlock and then pressing it again and holding it.... Your windows will roll down and sunroof will start to open. Try it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This happens on occasion to me... But usually with unlocking and popping the trunk. Or setting off the alarm. You sat down and accidentally pressed the unlock button and it stuck. By pressing unlock and then pressing it again and holding it.... Your windows will roll down and sunroof will start to open. Try it.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Hey, new member here. I have a 2002 330ci and I walked out to my car today and found that the windows were all halfway down and both the doors were unlocked. My keys were with me the whole time and I'm positive I didn't unlock my doors myself. Anyone else have this issue or know what this could be? Car just rolled over 100k.
My guess it was/had been raining as well.

Replace the drivers door lock actuator.

http://www.bmwgm5.com/Bad_Actuator.htm

Just be grateful that windows did not go ALL the way down and the sunroof open all the way!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Not sure the OP understands the functions on these cars.

Although you can hold the unlock button down to open the windows and sunroof on these cars, if you think about it, the keyfod does not have much distance for these cars either.

But also note that you can open or close all the windows and sunroof by holding the key in the drivers door in the full unlock or lock position. This is where the driver door lock actuator comes into play.

There is circuitry inside the drivers door lock actuator that after 10-15 years of slamming the door, dust and moisture that fails and will gladly open all your windows and sunroof in the rain. This also not just a BMW problem, many of the German cars have very similiar issues.

Since you live in Oregon, I assume it rains occasionally in your area and you may want to resolve this issue sooner than later.

Good luck, but you need to replace the driver door lock actuator, trust me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.