E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have discovered that on my passenger side headlight is not working after recent service. Upon closer inspection I found that the green wire that goes to the ignitor had been cut, and the brown wire(ground) does not go anywhere. I suspect this has to be my problem.
Question 1, it is very tight in there in the plastic box where the wires are but can't I splice the green wire? What is the best way to do that?
Question 2, I cannot see where the brown wire needs to go, but can feel it on the working headlight. Can it be grounded anywhere or has to be back in the original spot. If so, again, I can feel the spot where it should go, what can I do to reattache the brown wire?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPdate on problem

I was not clear, someone clipped the green wire and the brown ground wire at one of the two places I had the car towed to for a broken fan belt. It was a deliberate attempt to get me to bring the car back for more service. I just want to know if I can hook the two wires back up and how.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Honestly the best and most sure fire way to get everything back together properly, is to take the headlight apart. There are quite a few DIY here on dismantling headlights. Once that is done, you can use wire crimpers from any electronics store, to reconnect the wiring. That crimping the wires together is the easiest part. Taking the headlight apart will probably take 30 min at the most, and that is the most time consuming aspect. But taking it apart would make the job much easier and give you plenty of room to work with.

·
Shifting
30,825 Posts
Take the headlight out completely and then work on the wiring.

The easy way to take the headlight out is removing the two 8mm screws on top and the two 8mm screws (if they are there) in the back of the headlight and then they will just slide out of the carrier.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have discovered that on my passenger side headlight is not working after recent service. Upon closer inspection I found that the green wire that goes to the ignitor had been cut, and the brown wire(ground) does not go anywhere. I suspect this has to be my problem.
Question 1, it is very tight in there in the plastic box where the wires are but can't I splice the green wire? What is the best way to do that?
Question 2, I cannot see where the brown wire needs to go, but can feel it on the working headlight. Can it be grounded anywhere or has to be back in the original spot. If so, again, I can feel the spot where it should go, what can I do to reattache the brown wire?
Thanks,
Really sucks when this is done to your car by BMW of Bayside

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just beware though. What happened to me 2 months ago when I disassembled my headlights is that I found all the PVC insulation on the wiring inside the assembly was so brittle that if I blew on it, chunks came off. Not surprising given the number of heat cycles over its 12 year life. If yours are like this, they can't be repaired. And buying used replacements just gets you the same situation. I had to go with 100% new replacements from Umnitza. They were 100% drop in fitment although there was a little more wiring needed for the angel eyes I added.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,623 Posts
It's a design flaw ZKW, AL, or whoever made the headlight won't acknowledge. That only happens on the facelift coupe headlights AFAIK. My wiring was like new last I was in there, I drive a 2002 coupe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's a design flaw ZKW, AL, or whoever made the headlight won't acknowledge. That only happens on the facelift coupe headlights AFAIK. My wiring was like new last I was in there, I drive a 2002 coupe.
not a flaw, my left headlight wiring is like new, brand new. This was like brand new until someone at BMW of Bayside severed the wires, I have pictures. I took it there for rust guarantee repair just prior to the 12 year guarantee expiration date. It was retaliation.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,623 Posts
not a flaw, my left headlight wiring is like new, brand new. This was like brand new until someone at BMW of Bayside severed the wires, I have pictures. I took it there for rust guarantee repair just prior to the 12 year guarantee expiration date. It was retaliation.
Sorry, meant to specify I'm referring to the dry-rotting wire insulation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@orb - lucky me, huh? I don't know much about wire insulation chemistry, but I guess there probably are formulations that last longer. It sucks, but I am happy with my new lights so that is fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts