BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Too many rock chips!
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious regarding the technique that drivers of SMG equipped cars would use to recover from a spin. With a regular manual transmission car, the driver would press the clutch during a spin. What does one do in a SMG car? There is no manually operated clutch. Is there a quick way to pop into neutal? Just curious. Not like I have any money to buy a car with SMG!

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a spin, the computer automatically declutches the car. If the car is still moving at the end, it will choose an appropriate gear for the car automatically.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I replied to your thread at the 'Fest but I'll share my idea here too. I think the next SMG should have a clutch pedal. It would be a DBW pedal that can temporarily disengage the clutch for odd instances like so described. Its use would be totally optional. Imagine, it would be even more intuitive to invoke launch control with this electronic pedal.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
guys i have a smg2 m3 in what gear

when you start the spin what gear are you in in the s mode.
i would think you would shift on the floor or use the paddles.
same action only wihout the clutch just use your hand on the floor.
i would think what do you think about what i said ?????
bobm3 :dunno: :dunno:

·
alfisti & bimmer fan
2,096 Posts
Jim in Oregon said:
In a spin, the computer automatically declutches the car. If the car is still moving at the end, it will choose an appropriate gear for the car automatically.

:thumbup:

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,055 Posts
WOuldn't it be nice if BMW came out w/ an SMG, when in manual mode, would work exactly like a manual? Auto and Manual unites!! WOOHOO!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts