E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Profile: 2003 SMG M3
(5000 miles on tires, 18s Pilots)

Stomping on the GAS w/ DSC off on S5, S6, or A5 does NOT induce wheelspin. Other SMG users indicate that it'll spin the tires all the way to 2nd gear. If I use LC, I can sometimes spin the tires.. However they are indicating that I should be able to without LC. Any SMG users have any hints or suggestions?
:burnout:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
mattman, wheel spin typically means a slower time :)

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just spent 2 hrs playing around with LC and with S5/S6/A5. This is what I've found..

With LC (depending on surface), I get some wheel spin on first and chirp in 2nd (good launch).

Without LC, I stomp (flooring the accelerator) on the gas, and it revs to 2k..pauses then climbs to 7,900. I get NO WHEELSPIN but I get some in 2nd gear (more of a chirp).

HOWEVER: If I pump the gas right before I floor it, I get MASSIVE WHEELSPIN all the way through first and some in 2nd. I have to IMMEDIATELY follow up the first pump in order to do this.. The RPMS climb to 5k quickly and rise to Redline.
You mention "lightly tapping the accelerator" before you take off. This doesn't work for me.

I have a production date of 10/03 and maybe they reconfigured SMG alittle bit? What is your production date? Maybe I should reset SMG? Any comments or thoughts? Phoenix.. all you do is floor it? Do get the 2k pause and climb..? What is your production date?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
What about brake torqueing it?

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The question is really if there are other ways to induce wheel spin but why can't i repeat the same steps others have? I'm more interested in finding out if there is anything "wrong" with my car..

·
Registered
89 Posts
my production was april of 02...im telling you all i do to get some nasty wheel spin get off dsc and smash the gas with some force all the way to the flloor and im spinning for awhile...but then again i have no tread on my tires because of this stupid stuff

chuck

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna test it by a suggestion from Roadfly.. I usually rest my foot on the pedal and floor it.. I heard this causes the clutch to be engaged to fast...

So i'm going to stomp it fast/hard with my feet completely OFF the accelerator..

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Atlas said:
What's this pumping the gas business... i thought the clutch was all computer controlled to act like an auto tranny...
There's no clutch in an auto.. it's a torque converter (donut / fan like device).

SMG has no clutch pedal like an auto but has a clutch/flywheel setup.

I think when I pump the gas.. i remove my feet the 2nd time.. this causes the wheelspin..

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

OK.. i followed the advice of someone at roadfly.org and i can at will cause wheelspin if i stomp on the gas but i must NOT have my foot resting on it.. There is a time to acceleration of my foot when i try to floor it.. so i get the gas alittle and speed up to floor.. during the transition.. the car gets in gear and speeds.. there's a lag between what the comp thinks i want to do and what it does. This is good in that I can get a very good launch w/o any wheelspin.

IF i FLOOR it by having my foot completely off and then ram it down.. I get crazy WHEELSPIN and the car goes insane!! Fun but not very safe. REDLINE comes QUICK so I think starting this in A5 is a good idea and just take over the shift and it will default to your current S mode setup. NICE!!! :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.