E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i have a 2004 330i ZHP with Nav and Hardman Kardon speakers. I just replaced the amp because I thought that is why the speakers are not working but it did not solve the problem. so non of the speakers work or make a static sound not sure why. does anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
203 Posts
As noted earlier, need to make sure amp is getting power. Then check to see if the head unit is sending the signal to the amp to turn on when the head unit is turned on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As noted earlier, need to make sure amp is getting power. Then check to see if the head unit is sending the signal to the amp to turn on when the head unit is turned on.
how would you check if it's receiving power? also occasionally the right rear speaker will work for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
how would you check if it's receiving power? also occasionally the right rear speaker will work for a couple of minutes.
I don't have wiring diagram yet unfortunately.

For power, use a multimeter at the connector to the amp. Just looking for 12V to drive the amp.

For signal, need to see what wire sends the "turn on" signal to the amp. There, you're just looking for voltage when the radio is on and 0V when it's turned off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have wiring diagram yet unfortunately.

For power, use a multimeter at the connector to the amp. Just looking for 12V to drive the amp.

For signal, need to see what wire sends the "turn on" signal to the amp. There, you're just looking for voltage when the radio is on and 0V when it's turned off.
Thank you! ill go ahead and check it tomorrow

·
Registered
203 Posts
@VpointVick, Thanks! That's a lotta diagrams...going to take a while to sort through it.

But I did find this fairly quickly so there's at least a voltage value to work of for the signal sent to the amp from the radio:

Switching on
The amplifier is connected directly to continuous positive and ground as the power supply. It is switched on and off by the radio via the control input. If the amplifier detects a voltage greater than 9 volts at the control input and a voltage which is greater than the voltage at the control input at the continuous positive input, it is activated after approx. 2 seconds.

Switching off
The amplifier is connected directly to continuous positive and ground as the power supply. The amplifier is switched off if the voltage at the control input drops below the lower operating voltage limit of 9 Volt for a short time (approx. 25 ms).

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi
i have a 2004 330i ZHP with Nav and Hardman Kardon speakers. I just replaced the amp because I thought that is why the speakers are not working but it did not solve the problem. so non of the speakers work or make a static sound not sure why. does anyone know what it could be?
I wonder 2 things. Are you using the aux in or a cd for the signal source?
2.) Have you your 330i got that little button on the steering wheel that kills the audio when you push it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder 2 things. Are you using the aux in or a cd for the signal source?
2.) Have you your 330i got that little button on the steering wheel that kills the audio when you push it?
I have an iPod connecter in the trunk that lets the head unit show iPod when you switch modes. Also what button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Some cars have a volume button on the wheel, but I doubt that is your problem. So one corner worked before? Re-read Ourmandan; some cars have butto to kill sound for phone call. Again, if one corner works, I don't think that is it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts