BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard alotta different reviews about the DA s600s and Focal Utopias but the general consensus is that these are the best speakers to go with.. so for people that have heard either or both of these, what do you guys think of them? Are these really the best or is there better?

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
4,106 Posts
steel_grey02 said:
I've heard alotta different reviews about the DA s600s and Focal Utopias but the general consensus is that these are the best speakers to go with.. so for people that have heard either or both of these, what do you guys think of them? Are these really the best or is there better?
The hex series sound awesome in factory locations but their a better comparison to the Focal Polykevlars as opposed to the top of the line Utopia's... The Hex are about $250-$300 less for component set than the Utopia line. Also the fitment of the DA's is much easier as the Focals tend to have a deep mounting depth

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
I agree the diamond hex series is more of a polykevlar competitor. The w cone sounds way better than the hex. I tn51 tweet is a little harsh, but it can be tuned out with some work. I think I would choose the hex over the pk's.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a set of hex and m3 coax installed by ron last friday in my 540. I am truly impressed by it. I used to have ads 345is in my 330ci and I have difficulty saying which one is better. But the hex is about 100 cheaper.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spdtrp said:
they both suck. jl audio xr or rockford fanatic q will spank them.
do either of these come as a 3-way comp. set?? and what's the price range on the jl and rockford compared to DA or focals??

·
Imported *******
872 Posts
I prefer the Focal Utopias. Got my 5.25 comp set for $450.

Midbass and xover were just better, IMO, then the Diamonds. My friend had those in his E36 but quickly replaced with Focals.

·
Registered
831 Posts
steel_grey02 said:

do either of these come as a 3-way comp. set?? and what's the price range on the jl and rockford compared to DA or focals??
JL and Rockford can no where NEAR compete with Focal and Diamond, thus, price comparison is irrelevant :)

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
[JL and Rockford can no where NEAR compete with Focal and Diamond, thus, price comparison is irrelevant
I agree. I would only use RF or JL comps for an spl vehicle. Sound quality is pretty bad. If you want an alternative to focal or diamond, try dynaudio or seas lotus. I personally like how seas lotus sound. I think the reference set sounds more transparent and real. They run about 600 for the 6.5 components. Dyn is good also, but a little too dull. Seas has the best midrange I have ever heard.

·
Registered
301 Posts
so i hear the Diamonds are more comprable to the Focal Polykevlars. are the Polykevlars less than the Utopias? so then, would the Utopias be better than the Diamond HEX, even despite the price difference? thanks.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
99e36m3 said:
so i hear the Diamonds are more comprable to the Focal Polykevlars. are the Polykevlars less than the Utopias? so then, would the Utopias be better than the Diamond HEX, even despite the price difference? thanks.
yes, i think that's what craig was trying to say earlier.. so can anybody tell me if the DA hex's are compatible with my HK even though it only comes in a 2-way comp set??

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like the sound of the a/d/s speakers.. like the 235is and 345is 2 way component sets. can anyone let me know if these sound smoother then the Diamond Audio HEX or the DynAudio 220 or 240 systems??????

·
Registered
504 Posts
I used to have a/d/s 345is in my 2001 330ci. I now am using Diamond Aduio HEX 5.25 in my 2003 540. I can't find any difference in sound quality between the two; both are excellent in my untrained ears. The big difference is the price. The DA are much cheaper than the a/d/s.

·
4,106 Posts
I have Utopia speakers throughout my ride and love em, if money's not a issue go for them. But if you wanna get a great component set for the buck DA Hex is a awesome option and they work extremely well in factory locations :thumbup:

·
4,106 Posts
Q series are decent. WE personally think the tweeter is very bright, but other than that, very nice component set. That's the only MB Quart we'd personally use unless a customer brought their own....other than them being slightly overpriced, the Q series is fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts