E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to best buy in search of some aftermarket speakers, and I found some that I liked. I wanted Best Buy's geek squad to do the installation for me because I didn't want to go through the trouble however the sales rep told me they would NOT be able to do the installation if my 2004 325ci has an amplifier. I went snooping throughout the trunk and I found this metal box connected via a bracket that was behind some of the trunk liner located directly behind my backseat. Is this the amplifier? If so how difficult would it be to replace my own speakers. I just want to replace the two speakers in my backseat because they are blown.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Driver side behind carpet liner is the factory amplifier.

You can direct swap speakers without touching anything, just cut the wire harnesses off of the rear speaker wires and put terminals on and attach to new speakers.

The new speakers will only be able to be powered up to the output of the factory amp however, if you want more juice amp will need to be swapped(would be a multi channel amp needed)

·
Registered
273 Posts
http://imgur.com/jeG2nHt

Tried uploading the picture and had a little trouble but heres the link to the picture on imgur. Can someone tell me if that is indeed the amp?
Telephone module in picture.

Drop some more factory speakers in the rear. After market is possible but you'll come up against height width and depth issues unless you go for drop in units like BSW

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Just dropped in a BSW kit to replace the HKs. ALL 4 of the mids foam rings were cracked and disintegrating. Didn't push on the woofers but they looked dry and ancient as well, probably would have cracked if I had touched them. Thing is the stereo didn't sound terrible, but now I'm hearing details I never knew were there.

Some thoughts for those about to pull their door panels- get a real trim tool don't use a butter knife, get a few door clips like 30 because you WILL break them, and get the ones with the rubber sealing ring as some come without. Also get some more butyl tape and a heat gun to soften it because the chances you will find a vapor barrier not fully sealed are very high. You would need to deal with that. Some moron went in the door previously and hamfisted the sh*t out of my two front vapor barriers and tore them up. Had no replacements so I improvised with more new butyl and some black RTV to seal the cracks in the barrier. Carefully done so I hope it's sealed for now. Will replace the barriers if they leak and/or a window lift breaks.

I can pull an engine no problem but nothing frustrates me like having to pull interior trims. I hate that sh*t with a passion.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Everyone keeps complaining about fit issues, seriously going to pay twice as much for inferior speakers? If your bad at diy and mechanics do this, if you are not it was very simple to buy longer screws of same thread pitch and drill 1inch square plywood blocks to firmly attach the speakers of my choice

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Everyone keeps complaining about fit issues, seriously going to pay twice as much for inferior speakers? If your bad at diy and mechanics do this, if you are not it was very simple to buy longer screws of same thread pitch and drill 1inch square plywood blocks to firmly attach the speakers of my choice
How do you know they're 'inferior'? Done some independent testing? Are you an audio professional? No you're a teenager. Just because somebody doesn't want to kludgef*ck a car stereo installation doesn't mean they're bad at DIY or 'mechanics' as you put it. I personally don't feel like messing with car stereo installs beyond drop-in solutions because I ain't got the time. Got more money than time.

I paid for them, they seem legit and sound much better than what was in there to begin with. Just because you ain't got the scrilla to pay for a drop-in solution doesn't mean anything. Go head with your plywood solutions, nobody cares. Now go make your Great Value turkey pot pie and shut up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
How do you know they're 'inferior'? Done some independent testing? Are you an audio professional? No you're a teenager. Just because somebody doesn't want to kludgef*ck a car stereo installation doesn't mean they're bad at DIY or 'mechanics' as you put it. I personally don't feel like messing with car stereo installs beyond drop-in solutions because I ain't got the time. Got more money than time.

I paid for them, they seem legit and sound much better than what was in there to begin with. Just because you ain't got the scrilla to pay for a drop-in solution doesn't mean anything. Go head with your plywood solutions, nobody cares. Now go make your Great Value turkey pot pie and shut up.
I am a Audio visual technicion by trade actually. Put if you'd rather take the word of someone who "paid for them and they seem legit" and calls people he knows nothing about teenagers go right ahead. The drop in kits are 2-3x less value for your dollar. And all you gain from that and dradtically limiting your selection is a idiot proof install. If you wish to pay for idiot proofing go ahead, otherwise as long as your careful and smart you can make alot fit with 1in square wood pieces to hold them

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am a Audio visual technicion by trade actually. Put if you'd rather take the word of someone who "paid for them and they seem legit" and calls people he knows nothing about teenagers go right ahead. The drop in kits are 2-3x less value for your dollar. And all you gain from that and dradtically limiting your selection is a idiot proof install. If you wish to pay for idiot proofing go ahead, otherwise as long as your careful and smart you can make alot fit with 1in square wood pieces to hold them
Actually, its spelled 'technician'....:shhh:

·
Registered
549 Posts
While expensive, they use Rainbow components or higher end ones. Google Rainbow speakers..maybe the piece of mind + quality components will change your mind especially when it comes to resell value..

*used:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971537

Whatever they replaced them with must be equal (at least) or better?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually, its spelled 'technician'....:shhh:
I'm done with this thread you all are a bunch of idiots replying. My apologies for a typo on my phone on the internet! Oh noe!

Keep pahing you extra 150-200 bucks for idiot proofing and keep feeling good about that install since you didnt fk it up.

Ill get equal or superior quality and put that 200 to whatever the **** i want. Good day

·
Registered
356 Posts
Holy **** 450 for the bav sound kit this guy is trying to brag about like he did a good job. My speakers are half that and from looking at apecs on the bavsound kit blow them away. These people are paying about 250$ for idiot proofing and seriously limiting their selection in process, if you are bad at diy or really just want it to look perfect when door panel is off(?) go with drop ins and pay the 250 for the ease, otherwise be smart about it(not ordering too large) and makeing mounts for the tweeters and mid ranges is not that difficult

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Holy **** 450 for the bav sound kit this guy is trying to brag about like he did a good job. My speakers are half that and from looking at apecs on the bavsound kit blow them away. These people are paying about 250$ for idiot proofing and seriously limiting their selection in process, if you are bad at diy or really just want it to look perfect when door panel is off(?) go with drop ins and pay the 250 for the ease, otherwise be smart about it(not ordering too large) and makeing mounts for the tweeters and mid ranges is not that difficult

Found that in my couch cushions. $450 ain't nuthin. How ya like me now.

Yer a teknishun for the time masheen? Wut

You probably work at Best Buy

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Bragging about how much money you waste and ghetto speak cute. I am a light and soundboard operator for a studio in the northeast, you are likely a drug dealer.

I found a pic of you and judd:

LOL a day without a buzz is a day that never was! I sell mine disguised as a nun

·
Registered
549 Posts
Why don't you document the install YOU do, and show us how your choices influenced your results. Especially so the OP can compare the pros and cons of each method.

If all you can do is get pissed because they cost extra, give us a component run-down of what YOU used, and explain WHY you feel so strongly against spending the couple hundred extra to cut the wires off factory connections and do it your way.
--Otherwise, you're just another angry poster blurring the line between a post that HELPS and a post that distorts and creates argument.

On top of this, the time, research and risk taken (and believe me I've learned) is NOT worth the hassle of working another day or two at work to cover to difference, especially when you can pop BSW speakers in without any questions.

The fact that I started out at 16 building custom audio systems and had probably the best SQ system in high school, done DIY, by myself over weeks and months gives me an interesting view on your thoughts without any sort of validation to your claims, especially on a e46. Little things matter, and something like a custom setup requires those little things be documented if your going to say your right.

Where's my proof?
Anyone ever hear of a JL W6? I got the same SQ out of a custom driver setup powered by a TC Sounds TC9 hybrid off a 750.1 w kicker amp and blew everyone away that dared to enter with the clarity of my 2-way active setup in the front (no rears) run off a 4-channel US Amps. I spent $1500 DIY at the time for the whole thing, incl sound deadening and wiring.. far less than other peers who ended up with a kicker square sub and a shitty touchscreen double DIN.

Where are your bragging rights that you did the same in a e46?
The thread I posted has FAR more details useful to this topic than any of your posts.

The anger in your post seems to only bring this thread further off-topic and underline your character rather than something useful like your own DIY thread.

Please try to focus less on yourself and defending the fact that you're right in your posts, and try to put some more effort into helping the community and more specifically the OP, or we would appreciate that you just pass up the next opportunity for everyone's sake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.