BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board and was wondering if anyone could help me with a few (very) newbie questions.

I have a 2000 323 sedan, business cd head, 10 spks (and would like to keep the head unit in there for aesthetic reasons...)

I'd like to add parts of my old system to revamp, but am not sure I can do so. Here is a list of what i've got:

2 pairs of 5 1/4" coaxial mb quarts (they are amazing!!)
1 alpine 50x4 amp
1 phosgate 200x1 amp
1 boston 12" sub

So...the 2 pairs of MB Quart Coaz 5 1/4's. My biggest question is: can i bypass the current fronts (tweet, mid, woof) and just go straight to my coax's (taking the short cut and not messing with amps)? The location seems to fit a 5 1/4" speaker perfectly, so maybe this will work...would I just change/splce wires from the surrent setup to the coaxial mb?

Or, if I decide to go all the way, can I bypass and replace ALL current speakers with my 4 5 1/4" mbquarts, add the 12" sub in the back, and add the amps to power each channel?

I'm unsure of how/where to start!!! I also need to purchase the alpine changer, but that part seems easy...

Anyone? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome to the board! I have been thinking about doing something similar, so I hope you get some good responses! Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Jeff

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
im doing something similiar to this and since i also want to leave the stock deck in place, im purchasing a line driver to accomodate the sh!tty signal from the cd player. im not sure that alpine amp has built in line drivers, if not you can always purchase one and have it installed. im sure you can just leave all the tweeets and mid in place and just not connect them while you install the mb coaxes in the stock woofer locations. im going with components for the front and still debating on using rear fill. but i am also adding a sub (still trying to narrow that part down though and still awaiting word from my soon to be gone company, but thats another story) your setup looks like it work..theres a DIY install write up that might accomodate with your project. its in the FAQS on this site, just browse down towards the end..im sure it'll help shed some light on where to start. if youre lazy like me, pay someone to do it! :D good luck and keep us posted....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts