E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at the DIY on spark plugs and it doesn't say whether it's better to do the install with the engine hot or cold. Anyone know? Are there any other tips beyond just what sockets to use? Anything specific to changing plugs on an E46 that I should know?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
The engine has to be cool enough to touch.

Make sure you torque the spark plugs to the correct value (18 ft-lbs) or prepare for problems like rough running or Service Engine Soon lights.

·
1,263 Posts
^ correct - definiately cold.

Make sure you torque the spark plugs to the correct value (18 ft-lbs) or prepare for problems like rough running or Service Engine Soon lights.
...or plugs snapped off in the block:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage

I think that at 60,000 miles you're supposed to have the Inspection II, which generally includes a tune-up. I'm at 56,000 miles and don't want to go through paying the dealership for my inspection, so I'm trying to do the tune-up, oil changes, brake fluid, trans fluid, and coolant flush and fills myself. I bought the Denso Irridium plugs (set of 6 on Ebay for $55). My goal is to replace many of the internal workings of my car with the best available parts. From what I read, Denso Irridum was the way to go.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I put in Iridiums (or how ever u spell it) 8,000 miles ago IK22's right when i got back from the store (Warm motor) burned my damn finger. Gapped them to .035 with out using a torque wrench and my car runs awsome. Its not hard to do at all. Just dont break the pins on the Coil connections that hold it in place :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts