BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone carry their heavy donut in the trunk? Or did they take it out to have less weight?

Considering the fact that a majority of the fanatics have aftermarket 17s-19s, would there be a point to have a donut in the trunk? I do not know the diameter of them, but I am guessing its 16" or less.

It would be dangerous driving on a donut, and 18s all around. So I am debating on whether or not to take itthe donut out for a little weight reduction(even though it won't do much). But everything counts because the car is 3k lb and more weight is more stress on the tranny.

Everyones .02 would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
I have a full sized spare, the same as on my car...the lame 16s...but, I don't have to be worried about getting towed because of a flat tire either.

When you go on a track, you can remove it, but otherwise, especially with 'our' roads and our weather (the weight is nice in the winter!)...I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's there for a very good reason.

Maybe you can pick up a steel wheel your size and next time you do tires, put one on it. Measure first, just to see if it would fit, but I think I have a couple of extra inches I could go if needed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
i still have my OEM 17" wheel in my trunk but im considering replacing it with a doughnut as well to reduce rubbing.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yea it would reduce the weight in the back, because my back tires rub on the fender only slightly if i go over a HUGE bump so very rare but will help with that all together....

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well in your case, the rubbing, 20lbs won't do anything.

I am guessing I should go to a junk yard, and find a tire with rim, with exact diameter from top to bottom of my wheels. But would have a donut in my trunk save my life in the mean time?

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
Well in your case, the rubbing, 20lbs won't do anything.

I am guessing I should go to a junk yard, and find a tire with rim, with exact diameter from top to bottom of my wheels. But would have a donut in my trunk save my life in the mean time?
Save your life? Maybe!

But the donut is there for a reason. To get you at least 50 miles.

I won't construct some scenario where it could save your life...but you never know.

When I drove to the hospital and contractions were 1 min. apart, if I had a flat, she would have killed me if I didn't have a spare!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Only retards take their spare tire out for weight savings on a street car.

You gonna save what, 50lbs? What else are you gonna take out, seats, panels and drive by yourself all the time and not carrying any stuff with you??

Unless you have runflats, keep your spare tire where it belongs. It safe and designed ti do what it does.

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
I guess it would come in handy, if I ever get a flat *knock on wood*. But would have to cautiously drive on the right lane with hazards on, because ill be driving on a slant
You can drive up to 50 mph, so on the highway, you'd use hazards, when you get off highway, you'd just drive to place to get your flat repaired.

If you need it, it will come in handy.

You going to tell your heavy friends to lose weight if they want to drive with you?

Also, on your dent, if it was me, I think I'd just try to push it out and see what I end up with.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Does everyone carry their heavy donut in the trunk? Or did they take it out to have less weight?

Considering the fact that a majority of the fanatics have aftermarket 17s-19s, would there be a point to have a donut in the trunk? I do not know the diameter of them, but I am guessing its 16" or less.

It would be dangerous driving on a donut, and 18s all around. So I am debating on whether or not to take itthe donut out for a little weight reduction(even though it won't do much). But everything counts because the car is 3k lb and more weight is more stress on the tranny.

Everyones .02 would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Donut? Mine is full size.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have the full size spare - in the car. I will take it out for a driving school or auto-x but that is it. Of course - I also have original wheels.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
The car is designed and balanced around the fact that a full size spare sits in the trunk...removing it doesn't really improve much and a spare tire is like an umbrella. it is one of those things that you ultimately need the minute you decide to leave it at home.

It is like the old man that drove 70 years without a single flat tire and the day he leaves home without a spare tire in the trunk he gets his first flat in 70 years.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car is designed and balanced around the fact that a full size spare sits in the trunk...removing it doesn't really improve much and a spare tire is like an umbrella. it is one of those things that you ultimately need the minute you decide to leave it at home.

It is like the old man that drove 70 years without a single flat tire and the day he leaves home without a spare tire in the trunk he gets his first flat in 70 years.
+1:clap:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts