E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 330I of 2002 vintage has a full size rim and never used spare. I currently have two tires that need replacing and was wondering if I could find another exact tire I would be just swap the spare with one of my used one.

Problem is, the spare is no longer available in USA. So I would be interested in buying another identical spare. The tire is: Goodyear-Eagle-RS-A 205/50R17 93V It is made in Germany and date of mfg is 2002

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
1,934 Posts
Isn't there some rule/law in the USA about not being able to use tyres that are more than 10 years old?

You live in the land of litigation, what are the risks you exposing yourself to if you have a car accident with an 18 year old tyre?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
My 330I of 2002 vintage has a full size rim and never used spare. I currently have two tires that need replacing and was wondering if I could find another exact tire I would be just swap the spare with one of my used one.

Problem is, the spare is no longer available in USA. So I would be interested in buying another identical spare. The tire is: Goodyear-Eagle-RS-A 205/50R17 93V It is made in Germany and date of mfg is 2002

The real problem is, your spare is almost 20 years old and is no longer roadworthy. Even if the size was available, the spare is far too old to be roadworthy.

Another problem is, you can get a 225/45x17 cheaper and it will easily fit the wheel. Instead of buying a tire that matches the spare, buy a new set of tires and never have to deal with this again. You have two tires that need replacing, get a 225/45x17 for less than a 205/50, then buy one with the savings and make it a spare, then buy two more so all tires are the same, and this will reset the clock on tires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
as others have said, don't use that spare unless you're stuck on the side of the road and need to limp home. tires have a shelf life even if not used tread wise as the compound in the rubbers degrade over time. I'd be stressed even limping home with that thing tbh. You can find a decent set of 205/50/17s or 225/45/17s on tire rack that will get the job done for little money. tires are the only thing that connects you to the road, never mess with tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.