E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the spare tire rim should be in perfect condition?

I got my 325ci last weekend and on the third day I put about a one inch scratch on the right rear rim I figured that I would just replace it with the spare, but when I took the spare out of the trunk it had 2 to 3 deep scratches around the center which looks worse than the one that I scratched.

I emailed my sales person and all he told me was not to worry its just the spare. I wanted to know if BMW is putting second rate rejected rims in the trunk since it’s just the spare or should I go to the dealership and demand another rim. TIA

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
Your spare should be brand new...I would demand a replacement from your dealership if you bought the car new from them.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,661 Posts
ask them to pay to fix it

it will cost 30 to 40.00 if its a light scratch. i got one last fri. on the side of my rim around 6"long. was talking to my g/f did not realize. i look into geting a stock wheel for my 03m3. cost of the rim is around 700.00. a use rim i fig. is 300 to 400 on the condition. that night i got the bmw club of america booklet. in it their was a guy. who fixes road rash he gave me those prices. for light scratches. on mine he told me it will be 100.00 max.. to sand down the surface of the wheel. and then to paint it silver and then clear coated it. time frame on this will be 2 to 3 hours. he sure make my weekend . and i was lucky it was on my stock wheel with my snow tire. in 1 week i was going to put my hre 540 on. i luck out i would have died if i did that on those wheels lolllll
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the quick reply and help.

Vinnymac: That’s what I thought and yes I did but the car new from them.

Clem: there are scratches around both the inside of the hole and around the center lip. At first I thought that I might have did it but when I took it out of the trunk I was extra careful I took out the carpet and the cover then pulled the rim straight up and then out making sure I would not scratch the rim on the bolt.

Boom3: That’s a good price I was thinking of getting the rim I scratched fixed but then thought that since the spare is the same I would use it until I decide on some new rims. On the other hand I do not want to pay to fix a rim that was damaged by the dealer or during the manufacturing process.

I will drive down to the dealership today or tomorrow.

·
Über-Geek
860 Posts
I'd Definetly piss and moan over the rim not being perfect.. that line the dealer gave you about it only being a spare is a load of crap.. if it was his money and his car i'm sure he wouldn't go.. oh well its only a spare.. so :flipoff: him.. and demand a new rim..

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
sounds like they screwed up one of the rims on the car somehow and swapped it for the spare. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Keeferno said:
sounds like they screwed up one of the rims on the car somehow and swapped it for the spare. :thumbdwn:
exactly. They might have damaged it and decided to swap out with the spare to cover it up. The spare shoudl be brand new. But now that makes me think. I've never even taken a look at my spare. Maybe I shoud. :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keeferno and erin: I was thinking the same thing they probably thought that no one would ever check the spare.

I think all the Fanatics should check there spare and make sure you getting what you paid for.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow and demand a new spare if they give me the same BS. I will threaten them with a bad review, since the salesman was begging me for high review marks. Since I haven’t been contacted by BMW yet for the review.
I will screw them if they screw me !

Thanks everyone for your help and knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts