BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
We've been getting some heavy rains, and the carpets have been slightly damp, and I've seen some condensation on the inside of the windows, so I resealed the vapor barriers today.

Pretty easy job. I used this stuff:

It comes in foot-long strips. Very easy to place, very pliable, sticky, etc:

There were loose sections of each of the 4 vapor barriers:

I scraped off as much of the old sealant as I could, and doubled up the 3M strips for extra security:

Everything went back down just fine. Nothing broke except for the armrest bolt covers/plugs. I have yet to figure out how to consistently remove those without breaking them.

I also got PA Soft 1.4 installed on an old ThinkPad T30 I had kicking around in storage. It had an old Ubuntu OS, so I ordered and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP off eBay (~$25). Turned off the airbag light. Looking forward to doing more customization like the temp gauge and speedo accuracy mods.

Merry Christmas all!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Good shit on the car! Happy to see updates, boy do I need to do one too. Awesome deal on the laptop! Probably should do one of those, or count my blessings my VM does fine

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
A few updates:

- Replaced the oil level sensor last weekend in conjunction with an oil change. No more yellow oil light every startup!
- DSC/ABS module died. Need to replace that and flush/bleed the brakes.
- I have a new FSR waiting to go in.
- Need to actually replace the driver's rear door vapor barrier. The sealant strips worked BUT there's still a small tear in the barrier itself that's letting water through.

183K and counting...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I think the issue I had with brakes was my ABS module going bad, but I'm starting to think that changing the caliper and not actually bleeding the system completely led to the module failing. Either way, I guess I would not have been able to drive my car anymore even if I still had it considering the new issue with Takata airbags

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
I think the issue I had with brakes was my ABS module going bad, but I'm starting to think that changing the caliper and not actually bleeding the system completely led to the module failing. Either way, I guess I would not have been able to drive my car anymore even if I still had it considering the new issue with Takata airbags
Yeah you struggled with a brake issue for a long time, didn't you? I think I remember that.

Still, it would have been easier for you to resolve than me; your ABS module was in the drug bin and mine is tucked under the MC. Sigh.

AFAIK the recall is available for the early cars now. There were supply issues initially, but I think they've resolved that and the buyback is no more.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
I'll eventually get back into an E46 (or a few) eventually. Now's just not the right time

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBAEV53483KM03734/?referrer_id=autotempest
^Nice example! Crazy high miles though. But cool to see a facelift Orient car with clears.

Your grey interior puts mine to shame. Wet English winters have not been kind.

Great thread as always!
Thanks! I do need to get some nice Weathertech mats at some point...

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Some COVID-19 work today: Installed a new FSR I've had kicking around the garage since January.

Thought it would be a nice, relaxing job after the frustrations and lack of motivation I've been dealing with on the 240Z.

Yeah...no. :censor: Had to fight everything to get access, and then fought everything getting it all buttoned up. Really annoying job. But it's in.

New FSR ready to go:

Glove box "carnage" (nothing's broken; just removed):

The Zone of Inaccessibility:

New (left) and old (right).

Current status: Clean but pollen-y. At least Benjen gets to enjoy the shade.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I remember that job being a pain but I didn't remove the glove box or any interior trim. I just peeled back the carpet if I recall correctly.
Maybe it's in a different (read: more accessible) location for the 323/8? I pulled out all that stuff and it was STILL a massive pain to work around the footwell duct and stepper motor...

Oh well; at least I know how it all goes together if I need to access the area again.

Looking forward to the xenon headlight retrofit
Need to collect more junkyard parts, but with A) social distancing and B) financial belt-tightening, I've not had a chance to grab the remaining bits. Soon, hopefully.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Pretty good haul from the junkyard today!

- ABS/DSC module from a 2005 325
- A bunch of fasteners and clips, including the armrest screw covers I never seem to be able to remove without breaking
- Igniters, ballasts and wiring for my xenon conversion. I *think* I have everything I need except for the the bulbs themselves...

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Thanks very much! MTech1 is my favorite of all E46 body treatments (incl. the M3). Very happy with it.

You should start a build thread/log if you haven't already. Would love to see this beauty.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Xenon retrofit progress today. Did the driver's headlight.

What's on the right needs to go into what's on the left.

Got the halogen reflectors out without too much drama. The bowl pattern looks different between the two high beams; I assume it will still be OK?

Only had to make 2 modifications to the halogen housing: Had to dremel out a hole for the wiring (left) and drill two small holes for the igniter (?) mounting screws (right). Everything else bolted right up. I made sure to get a ton of extra screws from the junkyard, so no worries about stripping anything.

Ballast installed:

Xenon assembly in. The only snag came when I tried to use Windex to clean everything, not realizing that the silver paint on the lens surround is so thin that it started wiping off! :yikes::censor::banghead: I stopped before it got too bad, and you really have to look to see it, but I notice it, and I want this to be perfect, so....... Another junkyard trip will have to be made. :(

Made sure I got all the little parts, including the bulb locking rings and the sealing "cups" that go over the ends.

All put back together. Yes, I snapped the top center tab down... :D

Passenger side tomorrow, 2 Philips D2S bulbs coming on Wednesday, and then it's aiming and LKM coding time...

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Thanks Rick. I guess I could use some silver hobby paint to touch it up, but I doubt it would hold up even if I could approach the quality of the original finish... It's really not that bad though; honestly more for my own peace of mind than anything else.

221 - 240 of 268 Posts