E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
what do spacers do?

What are spacers for? I got two 7mm spacers from ACS when I bought my wheels but I did not know what they were used for.

·
Registered Abuser
1,022 Posts
I apologize for posting a partial answer, but I have been trying to get the same info and haven't had much luck. All I can say however, is that I was provided the recommendation that I keep the front and rear spacers the same size so that it doesn't cause problems when performing an alignment. I still haven't confirmed the technical explanation for this, but it came from a reputable source (Wheelpower, Inc.) so I am staying with that suggestion. Beyond that though, I believe the best thing to do is physically measure the distance you think the wheel needs to be pushed out. I have decided that with stock 330ci sport package wheels, I will add a 25mm spacer. This is obviously about an inch and seems correct. Now I just need to confirm that there are no other issues to consider. I don't believe that I will induce rubbing but want to make sure before I sink $300 into spacers.

Good luck, hope this helped a little.

·
Registered Abuser
1,022 Posts
Re: what do spacers do?

tv330i said:
What are spacers for? I got two 7mm spacers from ACS when I bought my wheels but I did not know what they were used for.
Spacers are placed between the wheel hub and the wheel to move the wheel further out from the center of the car. They are used to create a wider stance for the car, they are used for aesthetics, to bring the outside of the wheel flush with the fender, and they are also used to clear strut towers, or brake calipers if a rim isn't capable by design. Do your wheels vibrate at all? Sometime rims come with hub-centering rings that balance the weight of the rim so that it rotates correctly on your car. I don't know about Schnitzers, but it might either be a hub-centering or a spacer. You should ask the person you bought them from to help answer your question.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
12. there's just way too much text here for me to read without getting bored out of my mind so I say 12 because 5 is way too little to make any difference and 20 seems pretty big for stock.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
rkaufman said:
thanks for the help. anyone else have an opinion?
so your not running an aftermarket suspension now, but do u plan on doing one in the future?

i have the eibach pro-kit and i don't think i could go more than about 10 or 12mm w/o starting to rub. :dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts