E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently slapped spacers (18mm front and 15mm rear) and someone said I shouldnt drive around with them because it can cause premature wear on the wheel bearings. Is this true and should I be concerned? My car is totally stock otherwise. Anyone have premature wheel bearing failure due to running spacers? I dont track my car or anything but I dont baby it either.....Any imput is appreciated. Im loving the flush with the fender look and the handleing is better...Some pics for you:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Maybe on cars that are prone to premature bearing failure to begin with... like my old ford.... that thing ate bearings for breakfast with and without spacers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe on cars that are prone to premature bearing failure to begin with... like my old ford.... that thing ate bearings for breakfast with and without spacers
LOL.....I mean it kind of makes sense because of the increased track width, your puting slightly more pressure on the bearings, but to be honest, I just havent heard many wheel bearing failure stories. Hopefully its nothing to worry about...

·
1.888.JLEVISW
28,931 Posts
What brand spacers are you running? Are they hubcentric? If you are doing spacers, I highly recommend hub centric spacers to ensure that the vehicle's weight on that specific hub is evenly distributed and does not add additional stress to the wheel bearing. Lug centric spacers or wheels give spacers in general a bad reputation because of this issue but if your spacers are hub centric, it is perfectly safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What brand spacers are you running? Are they hubcentric? If you are doing spacers, I highly recommend hub centric spacers to ensure that the vehicle's weight on that specific hub is evenly distributed and does not add additional stress to the wheel bearing. Lug centric spacers or wheels give spacers in general a bad reputation because of this issue but if your spacers are hub centric, it is perfectly safe.
Hub centric spacers have the lip that face outward in the middle of the spacer correct? If so then yes, they are hub centric. Am I totally wrong? If so please inform me of the difference.....Thanks, John

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's no different then running a wheel with a smaller offset number.
That's not necessarily true. Because with a wheel that simply has different offset, you still have a hub of the same thickness bolted directly to the wheel hub. With a spacer, you have the thickness of the hub of the wheel PLUS the thickness of the spacer, as well as the weight. If you were the wheel bearing or suspension, you would not feel the same forces pushing on you. That's not to say that they will be enough to break you, but it definitely will not be the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine are hub centric. I love the look and ride of the car now. The only thing is I get a small steering wheel vibration above 70mph now.....Do the tires need to be rebalanced now or something? How can I get rid of the wheel vibration? It wasnt there before the spacers.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Its the same effect as running lower offset wheels, think of it like a lever system.

Anything with less offset than a factory wheel will cause the bearings to wear out quicker... its not a night and day difference, but over time the car with spacers will wear out first.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's not necessarily true. Because with a wheel that simply has different offset, you still have a hub of the same thickness bolted directly to the wheel hub.
But the wheel hub is a different thickness, that's what offset is and exactly what a spacer does. a 30mm wheel is the same thing as a 40mm wheel with a 10mm hubcentric spacer.

Its the same effect as running lower offset wheels, think of it like a lever system.

Anything with less offset than a factory wheel will cause the bearings to wear out quicker... its not a night and day difference, but over time the car with spacers will wear out first.
True in the most theoretical way, in practice it has 0 effect. Keep in mind there are some BMWs with -25mm offsets stock.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In theory, yes, it will lead to premature failure.

In reality, it probably won't.

It's like saying the lip spoiler on the trunk provides downward force. In theory, it does provide some downforce. In reality, it doesn't make a difference at all.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What about spacers on a HPF m3 with tons more power? Im using spacers so I can fit my 295's without any fender rolling, I believe I can get a 305 in there as of now still without fender rolling or rubbing the inside with a .5 neg camber. But Id role fender just to be safe, to bad there is no 18 inch nitto invo in 305 or any 305 NT05's

·
Registered
758 Posts
What about spacers on a HPF m3 with tons more power? Im using spacers so I can fit my 295's without any fender rolling, I believe I can get a 305 in there as of now still without fender rolling or rubbing the inside with a .5 neg camber. But Id role fender just to be safe, to bad there is no 18 inch nitto invo in 305 or any 305 NT05's
Hey what offset (with spacer)/wheel width are you using? + what 295? I'm amidst trying to fit big ole tires.

And the spacers make no difference with the power.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Mine are hub centric. I love the look and ride of the car now. The only thing is I get a small steering wheel vibration above 70mph now.....Do the tires need to be rebalanced now or something? How can I get rid of the wheel vibration? It wasnt there before the spacers.....
Tires shouldn't need rebalancing if all you did was add spacers... I'm guessing you might not be torquing the lugs properly. Make sure you're using a light coating of anti-seize compound between the hub and spacer. Then try torquing the lugs in steps...like 30 ft-lb all around, then 55 ft-lb, then 87 ft-lb.

Also, was one of those photos shot in the parking lot by the Jericho Whole Foods :p?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Make sure you're using a light coating of anti-seize compound between the hub and spacer. ?
I thought for SURE you were going to say lug bolts, I die every time I see this.

Id say take the spacers off and see if it still does it and your not just imagining it.

another factor is if the tires are worn in already changing the track width can actually change the neutral contact patch, but the original contact patch has already worn the tire in a certain way. But that's unlikely as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
But the wheel hub is a different thickness, that's what offset is and exactly what a spacer does. a 30mm wheel is the same thing as a 40mm wheel with a 10mm hubcentric spacer.
No, offset is the measurement between the mounting face and the centerline of the wheel. If you take a wheel with a 30 offset and the same wheel with a 40 offset, the hubs on the wheels will be the same exact thickness. They don't make the hub thicker/thinner to create offset. The spoke and hub remain the same size and they change the relative position within the barrel. A spacer is pushing everything out (hub, spokes, barrel), so it's relocating all the weight of the wheels and tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
An extreme amount of spacing will cause the wheel bearings to go south in a hurry. As a mechanic I remember in the early 90s when the rage was wheels with almost no backspacing causing nearly half the tire to be outside the wheel well. THese idiots were eating wheel bearings for breakfast and they almost never lasted more than 10k or so. BUT...1/2" of spacing will make almost no difference and cause no damage.

It looks hot. Where did you get them and what was the cost for the spacers adn longer lugs??

Re'

·
Registered
978 Posts
sorry for bumping an old thread but i put 15mm spacers on my rears 2 days ago and they were rubbing so i decided to take them off untill i needed new tires in the rear and go from 255 to 235's so that it wont rub and i took off the spacers this morning and put the wheels back on and no vibrationes or anything but a semi loud ticking noise. i had none of this prior to the spacers being on or when the spacers where on but now i do have the tick... i jack each side up and tugged on the rim in every direction and zero play on both sides. good this still be a bad wheel bearing? what other ways can i check if the wheel bearing is bafd?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.