BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following setting:

1. Alpine CHA-S634
2. OEM Head Unit ('02 325i), no HK system.
3. Soungate Adapter

And I had them professionally installed.

Has anyone noticed the sound quality of the changer is worse than the head unit CD player? I used the same CD (not mp3).
It's more noticable if the music has a lot of base. The sound cracks on the changer but not on the head unit cd player.

I expected the sound quality to be same.

Is this something we can fix? Or just the changer sucks? Or is it this adaptor's problem? Or is it just me???
:dunno:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Think it all depends on the bit rate the mp3 was encoded at. My ears say that 192kbps mp3s sound better from the s634 than regular cd audio from the head unit.

But I have had a couple of crappily encoded 128kbps songs that made a crackily sound. Almost thought I had a blown speaker.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,513 Posts
I haven't played any regular CDs on mine. I've been playing MP3s all this time. I'll pop in a few regular CDs and see what it's like.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
obLu said:
Think it all depends on the bit rate the mp3 was encoded at. My ears say that 192kbps mp3s sound better from the s634 than regular cd audio from the head unit.

But I have had a couple of crappily encoded 128kbps songs that made a crackily sound. Almost thought I had a blown speaker.
No no no... I wasn't comparing w/ mp3. I was comparing the CD (even original CD... i.e. wav format). Pop the CD in your head unit and listen. Then now listen to the same CD w/ your changer. See if you can notice a difference. Difference was big when the song has a lot of base.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just did, cd audio sounds better out of the s634....it's definately not flat though, it's bumping levels. I usually only keep the bass about one notch above flat, but I still didn't hear any cracking when I'd crank it on a bass heavy song.

Check the wiring?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
obLu said:
Just did, cd audio sounds better out of the s634....it's definately not flat though, it's bumping levels. I usually only keep the bass about one notch above flat, but I still didn't hear any cracking when I'd crank it on a bass heavy song.

Check the wiring?
hmmm.... thanks for checking for me :)

Well... I can go to the place I had it professionally installed and complain. But I always want to research before I go so I can talk better and know what's going on.

That is so interesting that the sound from the changer is better... oh i wish mine was!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually mine came out to be the opposite..

I did a bit-by-bit copy of a CD and found that the in-dash CD was worse in sound quality than the S634. I have the same changer, adapter, installed it myself, however I have the HK system.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jmalian325i said:
Actually mine came out to be the opposite..

I did a bit-by-bit copy of a CD and found that the in-dash CD was worse in sound quality than the S634. I have the same changer, adapter, installed it myself, however I have the HK system.
Nooo fair!!!! Why mine sounds worse on the changer!!!!!! :cry:

Since you installed it yourself, do you have any idea what went wrong w/ my system?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah, what went wrong is that you didn't install it yourself. :D

They probably put the interface and the alpine adapter cable under the driver's side plastic tray. It's easy to take off and take a look. Which interface blitzsafe or soundgate, and which version?

I've got the HK system too, maybe that's it? Or maybe our ears just suck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
obLu said:
Yeah, what went wrong is that you didn't install it yourself. :D

They probably put the interface and the alpine adapter cable under the driver's side plastic tray. It's easy to take off and take a look. Which interface blitzsafe or soundgate, and which version?

I've got the HK system too, maybe that's it? Or maybe our ears just suck.

Hahah... I hope it's not my ears.... that would be hard to fix ;)

So... how does the cable running under the drivers side plastic tray make difference in sound??? I'm trying to gather as much information possible so I could tell the installation guy what to do rather than him telling me my ears suck. haha :D

I have soundgate adaptor.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,513 Posts
My setup:

1. Alpine CHA-S634
2. Soundgate adapter
3. Alpine KCA-130B adapter
4. OEM head unit (non HK)

Installation by: myself

The sound I'm getting is great (if not better than the old CD changer--which was an Alpine too). You sure the shop installed it correctly?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm just wondering if they pinched a cable, or if one of the cables is loose. I'd take the tray out and just give it a visual inspection before having to deal with the installers.

Could be the interface is bad too. Make sure you've got a version 5 and not the v4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts