BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired a 2001 330i sport saloon and found the sound quality of the BMW Business head unit to be very disappointing.

I have heard that you can perform a simple upgrade to the system ( and keep the functions of the head unit, cd changer and speakers) by plugging in an external amp from <a href="http://www.soundontop.co.uk">Sound on Top </a>.

There is an install guide here ( look toward the second half of the article):
<a href="http://www.totalbmwmag.co.uk/HandsOn/TechAug03.pdf">http://www.totalbmwmag.co.uk/HandsOn/TechAug03.pdf</a> [Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]

Has anyone performed this upgrade yet? And want to share their experiences?

Thanks

Zahoor

·
modder fokker
6,889 Posts
Its a speaker level input amp. It not so good as 4 or 8 volt rca input level amps in combination with a line driver or very good head unit.

it wil have more power. Speakers are sony. Not a very good high end speaker. Beter choose helix or boston or mb quartz.

I am not impressed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback and advice.

I am particularly attracted by this upgrade as it is relatively simple and unobtrusive.

The factory head units do not have dedicated outputs for amplifiers, so if I wish to retain the
head unit I'll need an amplifier with speaker-level inputs?

Do the helix, boston or mb quartz speakers require any modification to fit?

btw does the factory head unit have subwoofer outputs?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
zahoor said:
Thanks for your feedback and advice.

I am particularly attracted by this upgrade as it is relatively simple and unobtrusive.

The factory head units do not have dedicated outputs for amplifiers, so if I wish to retain the
head unit I'll need an amplifier with speaker-level inputs?

Do the helix, boston or mb quartz speakers require any modification to fit?

btw does the factory head unit have subwoofer outputs?
Yes, I would agree that this upgrade is simple and unobtrusive. However, I think there are other options that are hardly any more difficult and can be just as unobtrusive. For example, there are a good number of amps that accept a speaker-level input that would be a much better option than the unit you are looking at.

Since the factory head unit only has speaker-level output, it does not have subwoofer outputs - only FL, FR, RL, RR outputs.

Consider this unit, I own it and have used it with factory head units with good success:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/InDash/Three1.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zahoor, as another guy from the UK I will be interested in finding out how you get on. Looking to do exactly the same as you, easy and unobtrusive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jackboot thanks for the info. I like the Audio control option esp the sub woofer level controls (!) and it is a very flexible unit. Have you kept you stock HU and speakers ?

In the mean time I've ordered the Sound on Top upgrade and will be carrying out the upgrade before xmas.

Hi Mackster. Good to see another brit on this board!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
zahoor said:
Jackboot thanks for the info. I like the Audio control option esp the sub woofer level controls (!) and it is a very flexible unit. Have you kept you stock HU and speakers ?

In the mean time I've ordered the Sound on Top upgrade and will be carrying out the upgrade before xmas.

Hi Mackster. Good to see another brit on this board!
I have yet to install the three.1 in my BMW since I've only had the car for less than a month. However, I had it installed with my stock HU in my old car (Acura) and loved it. I especially like the dedicated subwoofer control. Sounds great too...the unit can be had on Ebay for quite cheap! Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are your plans for the install? Are you going to install the Three.1 in the glovebox ? How many amps are you going to be using and where will you site the subwoofer ?

Thanks

·
modder fokker
6,889 Posts
If it was me and i wanted to keep the headunit and limit the amount spend i would:

Buy a 4 channel amp rca imput. Take signal from before the rear speakers connect the to the amp with a adapter speaker level/rca and go back with 2channels to the rear speakers and connect the other to the front speakers usings the existing cables.

Then i would change the front speakers into 6.5 inch speakers.

Not 5.5 because without subwoofer you want the most kickbass you can find. Just put the speakers in front and use the meshh grill that comes with the new speakers and instal the mesh on your door.

Audio control is a good device. They have other to. A EQ is intresing and audiocontrol makes the best EQ's. You can add this also if you want.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
zahoor said:
What are your plans for the install? Are you going to install the Three.1 in the glovebox ? How many amps are you going to be using and where will you site the subwoofer ?

Thanks
I'm going to install the three.1 into the dash under the climate control, where the little flip-out door is. This will be ideal because I think the audiocontrol unit will fit perfect there (it is a single DIN size) and it can also be hidden with the cover. This is almost identical to how I had the unit in my Acura. The amber lighting of the audiocontrol unit should probably match quite well with the stock BMW lighting...if not, the cover can always cover the unit up.

I'm going to use a 4-channel amp for cabin speakers and a monoblock for the subwoofer. I will probably be getting a 12" sub and locating it directly behind the ski-pass and have it firing into the cabin.

I should be starting on this install this weekend. I will be receiving my BMW bluetooth kit on Friday so I will just install the audio equipment and the bluetooth kit at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts