BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :hi:,
I was debating if I wanted to strip my M3 for weight/speed or if I wanted to stay luxury, and I decided I would sacrifice a little bit of luxury for speed (otherwise I shouldn't have bought a BMW right). The previous owner of my 01 M3 installed an all BA/JL Audio system, which sounds amazing. However, the trunk rattles (only 1 BA 12" sub), which drives me insane. So I am going to put sound sound deadener stuff back there. I've done a lot of research and I'm gonna go with Second Skin's Damplifier. There are three different products:
Damplifier: $60 for 20 sq ft., 9lbs
Damplifier Pro: $90 for 20 sq ft, 12 lbs
Damplifier Lite: $65 for 30 sq ft, 11.4lbs

I've heard great things about Damplifier and Damplifier Pro, but I've never even heard of Lite until now (on their website). Damplifier is 60mils thick, Pro is 80mils thick, and Lite is only 40mils. I figure because of the price, I should go with the Lite. I'm not pushing retarded amounts of bass, and I'm not in any competitions, so I figure it should do the trick. All I want to do is stop my trunk from rattling, nothing fancy. Anyone have any input on Second Skin's products or Damplifier Lite?
Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
180 Posts
Those products aren't going to do much to stop rattles. Rattles are caused by wires/cables/plastic/metal/etc hitting against wires/cables/plastic/metal/etc. Get some weatherstripping and felt, and wrap any thing that might be loose and hitting something else. A big culprit is usually the rear license plate so put a strip of weatherstripping on the back of your plate.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
Try to save weight and sound deadeners is an oxymoron since they sound deadeners damp rattles by using mass to increase the amount of energy required to rattle and to decrease the freq at which it rattles.

I'd go with Raammat - $100 for 62 sq ft. Works just as good as second skin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use cascade with great results for the past couple years. Highly recommended

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use cascade with great results for the past couple years. Highly recommended
And your sound will come out sparkling clean!
Sorry just HAD to..

I bought Dynamat because it was there when I bought all of the other interconnects but should have bought something else that was cheaper. Bad impulse buy

·
Registered
180 Posts
Raammat is really nice for the price. Don't put it on upside down surfaces, as it might melt. My friend had it on the underside of his trunk and after two years or so, it started coming off. He had thrown away his trunk liner, so black goo started dripping off the trunk, and onto anything that he kept back there.

Again, these sound dampener products will muffle sound that you would otherwise hear from outside the vehicle, but to stop metal to metal, etc rattles, you need to isolate them from each other with foam or felt or something similar.

I'd recommend getting all the rattles out as much as you can with foam or felt, and then if you find that the vibrations are still annoying, then try dampening the panels until you're satisfied.

For anyone who wants to use original plain-jane Dynamat, McMaster car sells High-Temp Mastic which is exactly like Dynamat Original. Same specs, same smell, I bet it tastes the same, too. It just doesn't have the Dynamat logo silkscreening that you pay a 200% premium for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raammat is really nice for the price. Don't put it on upside down surfaces, as it might melt. My friend had it on the underside of his trunk and after two years or so, it started coming off. He had thrown away his trunk liner, so black goo started dripping off the trunk, and onto anything that he kept back there.

Again, these sound dampener products will muffle sound that you would otherwise hear from outside the vehicle, but to stop metal to metal, etc rattles, you need to isolate them from each other with foam or felt or something similar.

I'd recommend getting all the rattles out as much as you can with foam or felt, and then if you find that the vibrations are still annoying, then try dampening the panels until you're satisfied.

For anyone who wants to use original plain-jane Dynamat, McMaster car sells High-Temp Mastic which is exactly like Dynamat Original. Same specs, same smell, I bet it tastes the same, too. It just doesn't have the Dynamat logo silkscreening that you pay a 200% premium for.
So, I could maybe put a better seal where the trunk sits on the body?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I doubt there's a better seal than OEM for that. What exactly is the noise that you're annoyed by? You said there are rattles that are annoying you. Where are they coming from?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I do long road trips and I get tired of road noise.

Is there a consensus on the best way to lessen road noise? To me it seems the doors don’t have much deadening and the cabin noise would be lowered by putting some there.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do long road trips and I get tired of road noise.

Is there a consensus on the best way to lessen road noise? To me it seems the doors don’t have much deadening and the cabin noise would be lowered by putting some there.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
most road noise is coming from wheels. Make sure you have some smooth tires. I think I recall a guy on this forum putting insulation in his wheel wells to decrease noise

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
most road noise is coming from wheels. Make sure you have some smooth tires. I think I recall a guy on this forum putting insulation in his wheel wells to decrease noise

That makes sense.

I could probably put some over the front arches in the cabin for the greatest effect and least amount of work?

Or is it difficult to get the carpet back in place...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sub box design and location has a lot to do with reducing trunk rattle.

Try putting your sub temporarily on your back seat and crank the volume. Does your trunk rattle after as much. If at all ? Bet it doesn***8217;t and your bass sounds better right ?

This is what I found with experimenting with my system whilst building mine.

Trunk rattles at worst with sub mounted trunk corners. Bit less at the back seat.

My M3 has fold down rear seats but no ski pass / hatch. I brought a rear seat section with a ski hatch ( coupe and sedan are the same ) . I then unclipped the leather from the old set section and added it to the new and transferred the armrest across.

I removed the ski bag from the seat which give a 13x9 ish hole from the trunk into the cabin. This is ideal for firing a sub through.

I did a mock up using a 10 inch and got nice clear bass with minimal rattles with 600 rms .

I then designed a 1 cubic foot enclosure that is wide and mimics the slope of the backseat. The driver and passive radiator face into the cabin and the baffle around the sub forms a rough seal between trunk and cabin when the seats are down.

With the seats up and the armrest down the bass is firing straight into the cabin. I can run the system at full power and not have the trunk rattle. No sound deadening.
If I have the sub enclosure loose in the boot towards the back the whole car rattles.

Sub details here
http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/40554-e46-m3-stereo-build/?do=findComment&comment=484468

1 - 14 of 14 Posts