BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys we just put together an installation video for the XAV-AX100 (also works with the NEW XAV-AX100) into the non navigation E46 since this radio can be mounted without cutting the dash. Cars with factory navigation require you to run a cable into the trunk so the wiring is different.

We have the package for sale at $400 for a limited time.
https://enfigcarstereo.com/SONY_XAV_AX100_E46_PACKAGE.html

https://youtu.be/ZqAwtIFc-sM

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dang, no wireless CarPlay on the Sony. Any thoughts of making a dock out of the trim piece? Looks different than the stock piece.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a non-Nav Harman Kardon system so this is very interesting to me. Please clarify - does this kit include the surround piece being installed at 30:19 in your video? Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the Harmon Kardon with Navigation. Will this work for my car? Also why isn’t the trim plate level all around? What’s with the lip on top? I’ve seen other double din installs with trim plates that look stock

·
Registered
177 Posts
Christian, one more question - do you sell or can you recommend a compatible plug&play rear camera for this Sony unit? Thanks.

·
Vendor
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Harmon Kardon with Navigation. Will this work for my car? Also why isn’t the trim plate level all around? What’s with the lip on top? I’ve seen other double din installs with trim plates that look stock
It works with navigation but your radio is in the trunk so there is an extension cable that you need to run from the trunk.

The top square keeps the top of the radio from sticking out awkwardly. The other kits that match the face of the dash don't come with mounting brackets that use factory locations so you have to make something custom. This was the best way to make actual mounting brackets.

·
Vendor
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Christian, one more question - do you sell or can you recommend a compatible plug&play rear camera for this Sony unit? Thanks.
The only E46 specific cameras I have seen go into the plate light. They are awkward to install and don't look right.

I use a camera similar to this and drill it into the plastic that holds the license plate lights. (I have never used this camera just using it as an example)
http://amzn.to/2sk1YTs

·
Registered
8 Posts
After watching the steering wheel control programming portion of the video I have a question. Does this have the steering wheel control function built in or do you have a steering wheel controller (like the Merta ASWC-1) in addition to the XAV-AX100 itself?

Edit: Nevermind- re-read the link and see that there is a SRWH-BM1 that handles SWC function.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Relocation Bracket

Christian,
After viewing the video, I am curious if you need to use the HVAC relocation bracket shown in the video or can the Controls be placed in the sunglass storage area like other double din units do? (obviously removing the existing compartment) I'm not in love with the replacement bracket looks and I was curious if this unit impinges on that sunglass area making it necessary for your bracket.

I love the idea of going with a trusted brand like Sony instead of a generic android unit from China with little to no support available.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Installed the Sony over the weekend with a few parts from Christian. Shipping from Enfig was super quick. Ordered Monday received Wednesday. I had an old iPad I traded into the local Best Buy($125 gift card received for it) so I purchased the stereo from them. Stereo worked like a charm. Very simple to use. Apple CarPlay works real well. Really raised the HMI level to modern standards. Could not be more pleased. Glad I saw this thread. I also ordered a USB cable with a mount. So, I cut the square into the place where the ashtray was and mounted the USB input there. Looks almost factory. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078LRSZDB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Z3Pilot,

How is the display in full daylight? The Extrons unit I have is miserable and I will try an antiglare film today to see if that helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Z3Pilot,

How is the display in full daylight? The Extrons unit I have is miserable and I will try an antiglare film today to see if that helps.
Great. Very bright. Can upload your own image for the main screen too. I’m gonna put a BMW emblem. Very very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts