E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make a careful note of your mileage when you drop off the car! Bad experience today. Caught a mechanic red-handed driving my car around during his lunch break!

I went to Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa, CA. The shop has a good reputation and they are highly recommended, especially because of their work with setting up BMWs for racing. I was getting my UUC sways installed as well as my new suspension setup. Dropped off the car yesterday and told them that the suspension wouldn't arrive until the day after. I talk to them later that evening and I'm told one the mechanics wanted to know "Was I aware that my car already had sway bars?" - Well, duh...I asked them to remove my Dinan sways and replace them. That was a bad sign.

Today, around noon, I'm thinking - wait a minute, I should probably take pics before the coilovers are installed. I figured that after a day and a half, the sway bars should be installed at least :dunno: . So I ask a co-worker to drop me off at the shop without calling them first.

When I ask for my car, one of the guys goes out to get it...and doesn't see it. Another guy says its in the rear...and it ain't there. I'm like "Dude, WHERE's my car?" Someone says that another mechanic took my car back to his apartment :mad:. The manager races off in his Dinan 5 to get the guy. Comes back with the car and starts apologizing. The car's fine, and I'm thinking hey I should get this for free, right? Well, I find that they didn't even install the sways yet. WTF? There's 11 extra miles on the car, but nothing was done to it yet. The manager is asking me what can he do, but I'm already pissed and I tell him there is nothing he can do, nor is there anything I want from him and I don't want them touching my car. They didn't lose one customer, they lost alot more because I have friends who go there and I used to mention them all the time :thumbdwn: .

The owner of the shop calls me later to apologize and informs me that they fired the guy. A little recourse, assuming they actually did this. I've heard of this before, but this is the first time its happened to me. This could of course, have just been an isolated incident with a bad apple but man, talk about losing trust. Not to mention, I realized the more I mod the car, the more its going to be a target for joyriding by mechanics, valets, etc. :tsk:

·
www.dpe-wheels.com
1,783 Posts
really sorry to hear that bro. i've been in there a few times since my car got tinted right next door at tint connection. i would definitely not get anything done there anymore. regardless of what the manager or owner would do. it should not have ever happened.

as far as taking your place for install of coils and sways, i recommend my friend'a shop www.ef1motorsports.net
do a search lots of fanatics have been there. his speciality is undercarriage.

ask for fab. tell him jojo sent you. good luck. alignment is included with coilover install. i wouldn't trust my car anywhere else. believe me, your car doesn't get driven around!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's just not right. I was thinking about taking my car there to do Dinan intake and Software II. Not!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
sorry about that, i feel your pain.
you know what, my car was stole from the body shop in July 2002, that was FU*k. now i always feel strange about my car:ben:

·
Retired
1,320 Posts
Those muthaf*ckers, I dont beleive the mechanic had the nerve to take your car out! :ben: I hope you checked everything to make sure theres no damage or anything missing. Thanks for the heads up. Better luck to you in the future.

·
Registered
543 Posts
tell him to install **** for free in the future to make up for it

·
Registered
568 Posts
yeah man when I had my My old E36 I dropped it off to get the rear bumper installed, when I picked it up in the morning...... NO SUBS NO AMPS NO NOTHING, some SH*$ head there stole all my audio over the night. They were just like, sorry it isnt our fault. I hate it when car shops don't take care of your car, I mean it's their Job !

·
www.dpe-wheels.com
1,783 Posts
NH328DJ said:
yeah man when I had my My old E36 I dropped it off to get the rear bumper installed, when I picked it up in the morning...... NO SUBS NO AMPS NO NOTHING, some SH*$ head there stole all my audio over the night. They were just like, sorry it isnt our fault. I hate it when car shops don't take care of your car, I mean it's their Job !
:wtf: how isn't that their fault? the car was under their possession therefore they are responsible for all loss or damage when they take the keys to your car. if i have to drop my car off at a shop, i always make sure i do a walk around etc to insure that i get it back the way i dropped it off. that is just plain B.S.

NEGARI: even if they installed the stuff for free, would you seriously take the car back there? they already proved to be untrustworthy. how can you not know a mechanic took someone's car home? keep a better eye on your business. i wouldn't go back ever!

·
www.dpe-wheels.com
1,783 Posts
xS3x said:
sh1t happens..

might sound mean..but better luck next time..

i usually just hang around the shop and watch them do my car..and i think thats the best way

sorry to overpost, but i agree totally. i usually stay and wait for my car no matter what. the only time i usually leave it somewhere is when i drop it off at the body shop.

·
Sick of Modding my car
394 Posts
Ya my brother almost had the same thing happen to him at BMW of Bellevue Service.
My bro has a 2002 M3 and it had some rear differental noise-
Serice guy- Umm is it ok if one of our head mechanics take you car home for the night to see how it is driving???
My bro- Wait who is taking my car??(confused)
Service guy- Well actully i was going to drive it home and see if i hear the noise, i only live a couple miles away.
My bro- No way sir, i dont want anyone i dont know driving my car without me and this is very unprofessional of you to ask me to do this. Im going to take my car to BMW of Seattle now, thanks anyways (as he walks away)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thats some Bullshiet bro. You should go back and make them do the install for free and just stand there and watch them do it. And then spread the word about how much they suck!!

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xS3x said:
sh1t happens..

might sound mean..but better luck next time..

i usually just hang around the shop and watch them do my car..and i think thats the best way
Yea, I know man...thats just the way it is sometimes. I don't always have time to wait for the install though. Live and learn.

·
name's PHIL
5,946 Posts
what scares me the most is, DO these fuks drive our cars around with care , cause 19's, with a drop and a body kit requires careful driving, with bumps and all.........totally unacceptable:banghead: :banghead: ..........i always wondered how they even get off the lot with some of the clients cars, they r in the service dept so when they get of for lunch break, r u telling me no one see's them drving off with a clients car...........BS:thumbdwn: :banghead:

·
Modded
978 Posts
Better yet...take a pic of the mileage when you drop your car in the dealership, body shop or whatever since digital camera usually have timestamp on it. Show it to them that you take the mileage pictures....I don't think they're gonna do anything to it. :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That sucks! I dont even like anyone driving my cars, not even to get it on the ramp at the shop. I'll always ask if I can drive it up myself, since one time I handed the keys over to a guy and he's trying to drive it up on the ramp and having trouble just driving it in general (bucking it and stuff since it was a manual).

I'm like WTF are you doing? He says "I dont know how to drive a stick". WELL DONT LEARN ON MY CAR DUMBASS! :banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts