BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325i
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just want some second opinions on the engine I’m building. My current plan is as follows:

-Swap the oil rings for the M52TU oil ring, and replace the compression rings
-Replace all bearing shells
-Replace valves and seals
-Should I replace the lifters??
-Fix the engine-killer oil pump nut
-Keep bore the same and hone the cylinders
-Swap the M50 intake manifold in, and get rid of the DISA and ICV
-Swap the M56 valve cover on, and get rid of the stupid CCV system
-Swap in catless headers.
-Fit a 50 shot of nitrous on

I’m also doing other common things, like VANOS seals and having the head and block milled down and pressure tested. Just let me know if there’s anything else I should do for maintenance, or anything else I can do to get a little extra power here and there. This is my first time rebuilding an engine, so I have a lot to learn, and I’m not cutting corners with this, and researching everything about rebuilding this engine, and hopefully within a year, it’ll be done

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
737 Posts
about the oil rings , better buy Mahle for the m54 , they supply upgraded ones with slots
lifters , there is an idea to dlc coat them so they don't tick , aftermarket ones are like this , but I cannot be sure of course for the effectiveness
for the oil pump , I would buy the option with the 3 bolts from Europe , a single safety wire nut wont cut it
for the ICV delete you need a tune , but its doable
the m56 cover is a neat solution ,but you need the different type coils too and some mods .A catch can is also a solution

·
Registered
2004 325i
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about the oil rings , better buy Mahle for the m54 , they supply upgraded ones with slots
lifters , there is an idea to dlc coat them so they don't tick , aftermarket ones are like this , but I cannot be sure of course for the effectiveness
for the oil pump , I would buy the option with the 3 bolts from Europe , a single safety wire nut wont cut it
for the ICV delete you need a tune , but its doable
the m56 cover is a neat solution ,but you need the different type coils too and some mods .A catch can is also a solution
So these Mahle rings have an updated design that doesn’t cause them to prematurely wear like the standard m54 rings?

And as far as the oil pump nut, I plan on going with the Euro solution

And oddly enough, the coils I have in my b25 that’s in my car are the push style, like the m56 ones, so I think I have that covered.

And I plan on adding somewhat bigger injectors to compensate for the extra air from the m50 intake manifold, and the increased exhaust flow from catless headers. Otherwise, I think I have everything else worked out.

Now it’s time to spend more money!
yay

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
289 Posts
For the oil pump, I would suggest retrofitting a tensioner for the chain. I haven't used this product. But it addresses the root cause of the oil pump failures. Beefing up the oil pump just treats the symptoms.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
737 Posts
For the oil pump, I would suggest retrofitting a tensioner for the chain. I haven't used this product. But it addresses the root cause of the oil pump failures. Beefing up the oil pump just treats the symptoms.

Ok about the tensioner, but this upgraded pump offering is grossly overpriced, the Euro eBay option is better and cheaper

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
289 Posts
I agree the pump is overpriced. But the tensioner should eliminate the need for a fancy oil pump.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
737 Posts
I agree the pump is overpriced. But the tensioner should eliminate the need for a fancy oil pump.
No, the shaft is completely inadequate and also the single nut holding the spocket. The 3 bolt pump is far better solution. As for the tensioner eliminating the problem, there is no proof yet. I would install both

·
Registered
2004 325i
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the shaft is completely inadequate and also the single nut holding the spocket. The 3 bolt pump is far better solution. As for the tensioner eliminating the problem, there is no proof yet. I would install both
I can’t seem to find the euro oil pump. Only things coming up are for the s50, 52 and 54.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
737 Posts
What I mean by the Euro oil pump shaft I mean the European eBay offer ;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts