BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i just moved my car outta the garage after having it sit for 3 days (i know, BMW abuse)...i found a leaky spot on the ground underneath where the middle of my rear axle (in the middle b/t the rear wheels) had been. a pool of liquid about 5 inches in diameter...i ran my finger thru the liquid and it had no real smell to it and was very "greasy" and clear from what i could see...any idea what this stuff is so i can fix it...?!! tia

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
definately not condensation...too "lubey" to be water...is a leaking rear diff bad news? :dunno:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,861 Posts
if the rear diff was leaking it would smell. Rear diff fluid has a high sulfur (I think) content that makes the smell very distinct, and very unpleasant.

Tim

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
tim330i said:
if the rear diff was leaking it would smell. Rear diff fluid has a high sulfur (I think) content that makes the smell very distinct, and very unpleasant.

Tim
Hmm, that's odd - i had a little diff leak on the m coupe and the drips did not seem to smell very strongly or sulfery. I didn't hold it right under my nose but was close to it when inspecting the floor/diff. The texture was greasy, as mentioned, but it wasn't really clear - had a light brownish color.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,579 Posts
Whoa. Val? Oscar? =)

·
Registered
395 Posts
yes differential fluid would make you want to puke, or at least that what it does to me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts