E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Icelink Plus is installed in my 2005 Z4 BMW, via directly to the radio (business radio). I have 5 playlists on my iPod (Nano), and no other music. My iPod is set to shuffle and the radio is set to RND. Everything seems to be working fine: press the radio buttons 1 to 5, and get playlists 1 to 5. However, here is what I'd like to know:

1. When the car is turned on and a selected playlist starts to play, the playlists always start with the same songs. This is rather boring. How can I get the playlists to start with different songs each time I turn the radio on?

2. How can I shuffle the songs within a given playlist? I've been taking the iPod out, hooking it to my computer, and through iTunes, have been reshuffling the songs within the playlists. Can I shuffle while the ipod is still in the car? If so, do I have to disconnect the iPod from IceLink?

3. If I just add song to my iPod, but not in the already noted playlists, or if I add more playlists, how do I use the wheel and/or radio controls to play the songs that are not in playlists, or play the playlists that are beyound the original five?

Thanks.

·
european auto source
12,556 Posts
Flycaster said:
Icelink Plus is installed in my 2005 Z4 BMW, via directly to the radio (business radio). I have 5 playlists on my iPod (Nano), and no other music. My iPod is set to shuffle and the radio is set to RND. Everything seems to be working fine: press the radio buttons 1 to 5, and get playlists 1 to 5. However, here is what I'd like to know:

1. When the car is turned on and a selected playlist starts to play, the playlists always start with the same songs. This is rather boring. How can I get the playlists to start with different songs each time I turn the radio on?
Your playlist song order is set through iTunes. Shuffle would be activated by pressing the RND key on your radio. Since the BMW radio shuts RND off (by default) whenever the vehicle is shut down or the mode is changed, there is no way to do this.

Simply just get into the playlist you wish to listen to and hit RND. It's that simple.

Flycaster said:
2. How can I shuffle the songs within a given playlist? I've been taking the iPod out, hooking it to my computer, and through iTunes, have been reshuffling the songs within the playlists. Can I shuffle while the ipod is still in the car? If so, do I have to disconnect the iPod from IceLink?
Easy - just select CD #6, select Artists and select "ALL". This will play all of the artists on the iPod (essentially the entire iPod). You can then press the RND key to enable Shuffle mode.

Flycaster said:
3. If I just add song to my iPod, but not in the already noted playlists, or if I add more playlists, how do I use the wheel and/or radio controls to play the songs that are not in playlists, or play the playlists that are beyound the original five?
You have a directory called "Playlists" that will list all of your playlists (including the Apple generated ones). The buttons 1-5 are only meant to be a "quick dial" for the first 5 playlists and are not limited to that number.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once again, Tom comes up with great help on the icelink/ipod issues. A couple more questions to fully understand these operations.

tom @ eas said:
Easy - just select CD #6, select Artists and select "ALL". This will play all of the artists on the iPod (essentially the entire iPod). You can then press the RND key to enable Shuffle mode.
After selecting CD#6, how do I get to select Artists and All(which buttons do I press)?

When I now press RND, after doing the above, this will shuffle the whole ipod, right?

Will everything go back into their original order (back into their playlists) after the radio is shut off and/or after hitting RND?

tom @ eas said:
You have a directory called "Playlists" that will list all of your playlists (including the Apple generated ones). The buttons 1-5 are only meant to be a "quick dial" for the first 5 playlists and are not limited to that number.
OK, let's say that I now have 10 playlists, how do I select 6 through 10? Again, which buttons do I press?

Thanks again, Tom, for your help.

·
european auto source
12,556 Posts
Flycaster said:
Once again, Tom comes up with great help on the icelink/ipod issues. A couple more questions to fully understand these operations.

After selecting CD#6, how do I get to select Artists and All(which buttons do I press)?
Simple - Press CD #6 and the word "Artists" will appear. Hold down on the UP arrow on the steering wheel for +3 seconds and "ALL" will appear. Hold down again on the steering wheel button for +3 seconds and you will execute that playlist.

Flycaster said:
When I now press RND, after doing the above, this will shuffle the whole ipod, right?
Correct, you can toggle shuffle using the RND button on the radio.

Flycaster said:
Will everything go back into their original order (back into their playlists) after the radio is shut off and/or after hitting RND?
Yes

Flycaster said:
OK, let's say that I now have 10 playlists, how do I select 6 through 10? Again, which buttons do I press?
Simple - Press CD #6 and press the DOWN arrow one time, this will bring you to the PLAYLISTS directory. Here you are able to see all of your playlists, including the Apple-generated lists. When you highlight a specific playlist you wish to listen to, press the UP arrow on the steering wheel for +3 seconds to execute that playlist.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tom @ eas said:
Simple - Press CD #6 and the word "Artists" will appear. Hold down on the UP arrow on the steering wheel for +3 seconds and "ALL" will appear. Hold down again on the steering wheel button for +3 seconds and you will execute that playlist.

Correct, you can toggle shuffle using the RND button on the radio.

Yes

Simple - Press CD #6 and press the DOWN arrow one time, this will bring you to the PLAYLISTS directory. Here you are able to see all of your playlists, including the Apple-generated lists. When you highlight a specific playlist you wish to listen to, press the UP arrow on the steering wheel for +3 seconds to execute that playlist.
Thanks again, Tom. Great job in explaining how to functionally use icelink/ipod. One last thought: I thought I read the manuals, and yet I somehow missed all this stuff. So, is this stuff available in the manuals, or does one have to have extrasensory perception to devine it all? (If I did miss it, it's OK to tell me that I did.)

·
european auto source
12,556 Posts
Flycaster said:
Thanks again, Tom. Great job in explaining how to functionally use icelink/ipod. One last thought: I thought I read the manuals, and yet I somehow missed all this stuff. So, is this stuff available in the manuals, or does one have to have extrasensory perception to devine it all? (If I did miss it, it's OK to tell me that I did.)
Honestly, it's somthing that takes a couple of days to get used to. I do have a "cheat sheet" available, feel free to email me directly and I will reply with a copy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts