E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
20,898 Posts
Guys, please keep this thread on topic and let's not bicker.
It's very easy to take someone's comment in a negative way. Let's assume it was meant positively. Mkay?

Sapote is a capable troubleshooter and has good electronics skills. If both issues started right after the airbag replacement, then it is time to pull off the airbag and inspect.

Sapote, do you have BMW Standard Tools set up on a laptop?
INPA is very helpful for checking if a button press is seen by the associated control module or not.

·
Premium Member
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sapote is a capable troubleshooter and has good electronics skills. If both issues started right after the airbag replacement, then it is time to pull off the airbag and inspect.

Sapote, do you have BMW Standard Tools set up on a laptop?
INPA is very helpful for checking if a button press is seen by the associated control module or not.
Dealer only worked on the passenger airbag, not the steering airbag.

I had been studying the wiring diagram of the whole thing the last couple days. All of these new issues seem not related to each other: interior light on/off while driving with headlights ON; steering wheel buttons and horn not working; seat belt light always on.

I tried to use INPA but it only works for scan the engine and tranny, nothing else. What did I do wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I mentioned previously that my first INPA tool installation based on the download from Important link of this forum didn't go well due to part of my fault: I created a E46 folder and installed the files under it instead of under the root c:\ as the instruction says. I thought it's just same as any other tools that the user can locate the folder anywhere. So I reinstalled all files under C:\ and it works.

Important news: As I sit on driver seat and engine running, the Seat Belt light was not ON without seat belt hooked. This is completely different than days before that it always ON no matter what I did to the seat belt buckles. Horn and radio buttons on steering wheel still not working.

I only can scan the engine and transmission, but the other items like Communication, Body, Chassis resulted saying the controller not response and the tool crashed.
so pls bear with me as this is my first time using INPA and I don't know how to save the displayed info to a file yet.
Engine running without SES displayed, but INPA reports these codes below.
Engine had these error codes, in German I think. How to see it in English?
45 Mil toggle bit
242 cylinder 5
238 cylinder 1
240 cylinder 3
3 cylinder 6

Is there better description of these codes I can find?

There are other shadow codes and I didn't spend more times on these at the moment.

MS43.0
version 1.17
control Unit Version 2.00

After I cleared the error code, and the tool reported no error code with engine running. I also suddenly noticed that the Seat Belt light was back ON, and after I put on the seat belt the light turned OFF as expected, and of course the horn and radio buttons worked again.

I had turned off the key and turned on for the test, multiple times to make sure that it's not pin2 of the ignition switch that causing the problem, but it worked every trial.

I want to know what was going on. Anyone?

·
Administrator
20,898 Posts
I only can scan the engine and transmission, but the other items like Communication, Body, Chassis resulted saying the controller not response and the tool crashed.
If your K+DCAN cable has a toggle switch on the OBD connector, then flip it to the opposite position and try again.
If no switch, open up the connector case and drop a solder blob connecting the circuit board edge pads for pins 7 and 8.
Pin 7 carries the DME and EGS while pin 8 carries all other modules. But only pin 7 goes through the USB cable to PC. This post explains it and has photos.

·
Premium Member
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update: the problem still there, very unpredictable.
I just ran the engine and the radio display flickering and so I know right the way all the said problems came back. Now after removed the key the radio still ON and I have to push the shaft to turn it off, and of course the little fan in the console never turns off.

There are error codes in the airbag module and F2 cannot clear them. I think I need to check the new passenger airbag cable connection tomorrow, but there is no airbag light on the dash.

What can cause the radio not turned off with key removed, and the little air sampling fan won't stop after door closed to more than 30 minutes?

I will use INPA to clear all the code again to shut off the fan otherwise running all night.

·
Premium Member
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I don't think F55 and F5 are burned, and F55 is direct from batt, so only F5 has switched 12v by ignition switch pin2. I also don't think the relay K2 is bad, and so only pin2 of the ignition is questionable because the horn seemed to work for one trip but not the other trip.
I was right about the ignition switch pin2, which supplies 12v to the following 12 fuses: [F4 to F15], including the horn control input to the horn relay. So the radio, GM5, seat-belt Hall-sensors, headlight control switch and many other components are affected by this pin2.

What is a coincident that just after the dealer guy worked on the airbag recall that this switch acting up? I should be buying the lottery ticket on that day.

So to day I check F5 with ignition turned on/off multiple times until the horn and the multi-function steering wheel buttons don't work, then F5 only measured 5.5V instead of 12V. This confirms the issue. I removed the ignition switch and check pin2 to 12v common pin and there is 15 ohms instead of zero. No wonder too much voltage dropped and I only had 5.5v at the fuse F5.

I opened the switch covers and cleaned up the contacts using the backside -- 90* sharpe angle -- of the Xactor blade.
I used this post as a guide but it has an error of how to remove the cover: the end cover should be removed first before the side round covers. If you follow the original instruction then there is risk of breaking the little locking tabs which I will add the the original instruction post.

This issue has nothing to do with the clocking springs or anything in the steering wheel as someone suggested. All good now.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.