BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rained on Saturday and on Monday morning I noticed that the passenger side front & rear carpet was soaked. After damage control with a shop vac & dehumidifier, I spent some time on E46fanatics trying to figure out where to start looking for the source of the water entry.

Started by checking for missing floor plugs and clogged cowl drains. No problems.

Next I removed the door trim and sealed the vapor barrier perimeter with weatherstrip adhesive. It had several loose areas. Thought that was it.

Just to be thorough, poured water into the sunroof trough. A few seconds later water was dripping from under the glovebox near the kick panel and puddling on the carpet. Dropped the A-pillar trim and headliner front corner... bingo. The z-shaped rubber hose was hanging free, disconnected from the drain tube.
Spread some silicon RTV onto the tube and inserted the hose. Just to be sure I didn't have do this again I clamped the hose with a zip tie.
Hope this works... expecting more rain tomorrow!

Wanted to thank everyone who contributed to all the informative threads on water leaks. Uploaded some photos of the sunroof drain for future reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It rained off and on for the past two days and so far so good.

A quick way to check if your sunroof drain(s) are disconnected is to slide open the glass panel and slowly pour water into the troughs on either side of the opening. The water should exit just behind the front wheel, outside the car. If you see it dripping from the headliner, A-pillar or under the glovebox your drain is disconnected.

Dropping the corners of the headliner really isn't that difficult. The hardest part is removing the screw cover strip from the A-pillar trim... slow and patient, grasshopper. Start at an end and after getting the first clip out look which direction the tab is facing (towards the windshield) and put gentle pressure in the opposite direction (away from windshield) as you pop up the remaining clips.

If you want to make removing the A-pillar trim screws (T20) a snap, go to Home Depot and buy an off-set drill attachment (Milwaukee 48-32-2100... see image) for $20. Otherwise a 1/4" ratchet and some forearm burning will suffice.

After that, remove the sunvisor pivot and retainer (careful with screw covers... mine disintegrated). Next remove the assist grip. Finally untuck the headliner from the door opening trim and drop it down a few inches. The rubber drain is right there, and it should be connected to a metal tube.

Good luck.

My carpet underpad foam is still drying. The last few nights I had a dehumidifier in the cargo area (wagons are cool!) and a fan blowing underneath the carpet. It's pretty cool driving around with no front passenger seat... feels like a race car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
What kind of A Pillar is that? Yours look fuzzy and thick

delmarco, the first picture is of the headliner, not the a-pillar cover. if his covers are from the factory and unadulterated, they are not fuzzy and thick, but smooth and thin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks to the OP. The passenger side carpet was soaked in my 04 330, and I was stumped. Took apart the a-pillar and peeled back the roof liner this afternoon and voila, god damn hose had fallen off!

Now I'm just doing some damage control, removed the seat pulled up the carpet and she is drying right out. Thanks again man! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Sub'd.

Its only a matter of time before I have interior leaks as well!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I just replaced my pillar covers and they were brand new from the dealer.. they're really cheap actually.. I even bought an extra one.. they're not fuzzy at all..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is this where they drain? I have just recently fixed my car from a wreck, and snapped this pic when the fender was off. I remember I a tube inside that black piece to the left of the tire. I must've pulled it loose because I am having water in the front and rear passenger mats.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have the same problem I think - water dripping from somewhere around the glove box, down on the speaker cover and kick panel at passenger side. I even have drops of water inside the glove box :facepalm:

I dropped the A-pillar trim and the corner of the headliner, but no hose seemed to be loose at that point - is it very obvious if it's disconnected ?
I could just bare see a part of the hose, but wasn't able to see how it's routed at the A-pillar - is it inside the frame ?

Are there any other connections, other than the one that I couldn't find ?
My headliner or the A-pillar trim didn't seem to have been wet, so I'm wondering if there's another connection further down ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is this where they drain? I have just recently fixed my car from a wreck, and snapped this pic when the fender was off. I remember I a tube inside that black piece to the left of the tire. I must've pulled it loose because I am having water in the front and rear passenger mats.

Well, I fixed the problem, and yes it was that hose that had come off. The hose is only about 3 inches long, though. It runs from the drain on the sunroof to a metal nipple-like connector, which I couldn't see. I could only feel it because I couldn't get the headliner back far enough or I would have bent it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a similar problem on my drivers side. I think my drain was just clogged though and not disconnected. I blew 80 psi of compressed air into the drain and that did the trick. This might be a troubleshooting step for people to try in the future?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts