BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same single bang before and after installing a new (GKN) right front CV axle. Still get a single bang when doing slow, hard turns.

Can't figure source of the bang.

All front bushings look good, No wheel looseness/play. New Urethane FCABs

'05 325XiT, 154k miles
AT

Anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd look at motor mounts and and driveshaft CSB. I would expect both of those pieces to bang upon acceleration, too, though. To check the motor mount, you must jack up the motor and watch movement at the mount. It can look fine but the top "ridge" can be completely collapsed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I replaced the driveshaft CSB 10600 miles 'ago". It was giving me light clunks that were hard to pin point. It was really worn out.

I replaced both engine mounts (3rd set) with Corteco (I believe OEM) brand 7650 miles ago.

I'm afraid to jack engine and put mounts under tension. Could that ruin them? How much tension can they take?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd expect it to be a suspension bushing put under tension and jumping from one end of its play to the unpadded metal on metal end and the floor pan;s acting like a speaker. Take a few light prying tools and support the car's front on jackstands and gently pry on things to see if you find the culprit. You might also lay under their with a flashlight while soneone turns the wheels back and forth and look for a bushing that moves funny. With the suspension in full droop it won't be natural but it may expose it more readily or mask it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone, thanks for the ideas. I did check engine mounts (although new), ball joints, sway bar end links, and my PowerFlex urethane LCABs, wheel bearings. All good.
I now suspect inner tie rod end. I got Lemforder inner & outer tie rod sets (not too expensive from FCPEuro). I've had Subaru and Volvo that also had hard-to-find front-end clunks on turning that wound up being a bad inner tie rod end. I'll report back when I get them installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOLVED...
I negected to mention car is fitted with a strut tower brace. The strut tower nuts (holding the brace) were not torqued sufficiently.. Hard turning deflects strut towers so the 'loose' brace would slip suddenly with a 'bang'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts