E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am replacing three brake hoses (did the right front recently) but I find the new rear hoses does not fit snugly into the "Brake Pipe Bracket" that bolts onto the inside of the trailing arm.

These are rear ATE brake hoses (331429, ATE: 24.5169-0458.3) and comes up as 343 011 65 174, which is listed in realoem for this brake hose.

Auto part

The oem hose and the ATE hose (part #6 in realoem) are different at the middle where the bracket (#7) & spring clip (#9) attach to the hose.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ET37-USA-03-2004-E46-BMW-325i&diagId=34_1088

Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a reasonable solution here?

It looks like a spacer/shim could take up the slack between hose, bracket and grove for the spring clip but I hate to experiment with brake hoses.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bad lot of brake hoses, spring clip groove is in wrong place

Posting this for anyone else who encounters this, and to check before you take apart the brakes.

The online vendor looked into it, said it was a bad batch of hoses, and overnighted me replacements (Rein hoses) which had the correct bracket fitting.

Here is a picture of all 3 hoses for reference (ATE on left)
Hose Fuel line Bicycle fork Pipe Wire

Fwiw, I also looked at a generic autozone hose and it also had the exact same problem as the ATE hoses, with the groove for the spring clip being too far from the "rim".

Also, this is the second time (at least) on this car's brake system that a part fresh out the box has proven defective...I should go buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had a similar issue with a generic brake hose (Raybestos). I was able to make it work by slightly bending either the bracket or the spring clip which ensured a secure fit. Don't remember exactly now but it's holding up fine a year later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts