E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I finally decided to replace the OEM headunit with an aftermarket one. I'll be using the centered OEM fascia plate...

...so I will need to remove the radio carrier bracket and Dremel off some plastic to make the new headunit fit. Following the excellent DIY guides of HVAC relocation and dash removal, I have got the climate control out of the bracket. Three of the four cable plugs were easy to disconnect, but the fourth have got me stumped.

It's the one on the right in the picture (leftmost when mounted in the car). It's got one white, one yellow and one black wire. The socket seem to have a slot for a release tab, but the plug do not. Any ideas on how to disconnect it?

/Andreas

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks like it just comes straight out since there is no release tab.

Try to shove a flat head screwdriver right where the parts separate. Come in from a 90 degree angle with respect to the wires, and just twist ever so slightly to separate the two. Don't twist too hard!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so too, but it won't budge. Pushing and pulling on the plug, I think I can feel some movement (0.1 mm or so) without using much force. It feels like there is some locking mechanism, but I really can't figure out how. The DIY guides mentions how the large connector is relased, since that one is a bit special, but the rest should be easy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmm, the plug might be part no:
61138377072 Universal socket housing uncoded, 3 POL.

And the socket a PCB version of:
61136931929 Universal pin terminal uncoded, 3 POL.

That's parts 2 and 3 in the image below. The other connectors on the HVAC do look like parts 8 and 9.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Brought out my real camera instead of phone to get some more pictures. The plug is stamped with the numbers:

1355620-1
AMP BMW

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after using a bit more violence than what felt comfortable I finally got the plug out. Turns out there was a release mechanism on the side, clearly visible when looking at the right angle. :facepalm: Oh, nevermind. Everything installed and back in working order now...

/Andreas

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can you please share the BMW part # and best place to buy that centered DIN bezel please. I might be looking for one in the USA. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is also a kit with the fascia plate and a modified radio carrier bracket: 65900410495, but I modified the existing radio carrier myself instead.
Do you know, is that part # for both the modified carrier bracket and fascia plate, or just the modified carrier bracket? Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts