E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
M43B19, 184000km, Mods: Angel eyes, Muffler, Resonator delete (by previous owner sadly), sub and amp
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as recommended and because it looked like the Problem, I replaced the two relays in the GM5 Module. However the Problem of not being able to lock/unlock the car with the key half the time, and the Problem of the key not wanting to program to the car still persists. The locking system DOES WORK if I press the button in the centre console and other stuff like the windows and wipers work fine. What else could be the Problem that is causing only the key to not work? I have replaced the battery in the key and the red light on it (older key design, not Diamond) lights up brightly.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering
Circuit component Product Hardware programmer Rectangle Passive circuit component
Passive circuit component Circuit component Liquid Fluid Hardware programmer
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Microcontroller

(The wire is because I damaged the board a bit, no big deal)

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
The antenna for the remote lock/unlock function is located in the rear windshield. There’s an amplifier in the left “C” pillar. I would remove the pillar’s cover and clean the amp’s connectors.

• remove the reading light by prying it out
  • remove the 8mm (10mm?) bolt
  • GENTLY pull the cover off
  • use super glue to repair the clip holder(s)
  • disconnect the connectors
  • use an electrical contact cleaner to clean the contacts
  • reassemble.

·
Registered
M43B19, 184000km, Mods: Angel eyes, Muffler, Resonator delete (by previous owner sadly), sub and amp
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that, but that doesn't explain the physical key not working in the lock.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
The locking system DOES WORK if I press the button in the centre console
So as recommended and because it looked like the Problem, I replaced the two relays in the GM5 Module. However the Problem of not being able to lock/unlock the car with the key half the time, and the Problem of the key not wanting to program to the car still persists
The first quote says the root cause is not the GM5. So, who suggested to replace the relays? It is the antenna and AMP wiring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took the C pillar cover off but this is the only module I see. There are no wires going up. I have a sedan, if that changes anything.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I have a sedan, if that changes anything...
That amplifier is the one that amplifies the RF signal before feeding the GM5. Look for the cable/wires that connected to that module. For the wagon the wire loom from the chassis to the trunk/boot had broken wires inside when I fixed my car with the same issue. For sedan it could be the same wire loom at the upper right rear of the trunk lid. I had to cut open the rubber to fix the broken wires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That ant amplifier is the one that amplifies the RF signal before feeding the GM5. Look for the cable/wires that connected to that module. For the wagon the wire loom from the chassis to the trunk/boot had broken wires inside when I fixed my car with same issue. For sedan it could be the same wire loom at the upper right rear of the trunk lid. I had to cut open the rubber to fix the broken wires.
Update:
My windows don't work. I can hear the motors in the doors clicking when I push the window buttons. I'm guessing the broken wiring is more under the dash? I never had problems with the remote and then all this happens at roughly the same time... I'm thinking some wires leading to the GM5 are bad

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello, this is my 1998 318i euro spec.

I've decided to list everything again here.
  1. the buttons on the key fob don't do anything. I have already replaced the battery and tried reprogramming it to the car, both of which have been successfully in the past, but sadly not this time.
  2. when I insert the key into the door, it only (un)locks the drivers door. All the other doors have to be (un)locked manually from the inside.
  3. the central locking button in the centre console works flawlessly.
  4. all other functions of the GM5 Module also work perfectly (trunk release, windows (except for one incident but the module probably wasn't plugged in properly) and wipers).
  5. The key IS recognised by the ignition and I can start an drive the car with it without any warning lights.
Stuff I have tried already: replacing key battery, reprogramming key, checked ground wires of the tail lights, I already replaced the two relays inside the GM5 Module but it didn't change anything. I also just checked all the fuses but none of them are blown.

Here is a video demonstrating the problems.

Please ignore the sub/amp install, it was installed after these problems occurred. Thank you if you made it this far, I hope someone here can help me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PS: Also ignore the broken trim on the rear door, the broken window regulator and the reliant robin in the background :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts