BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past several months I've been using the key to unlock/lock the doors of my 2001 330xi due to a dead remote battery. A few days ago, as I went to lock up, I noticed that the key refused to move in the door lock cylinder. After a little budging I could get the key to move 180 degrees to the left or right, but the doors would not lock or unlock at all. This meant that I was left with no way to lock the driver's side door.

I assumed the problem was a broken door lock cylinder, but before I placed the order this morning I decided to give the cylinder one last inspection. When I looked at the side of the door, I noticed that the cap covering access to the door lock cylinder was missing (you need to have the door open to see this). When I peered inside I also noticed that there was a lot of black gunk covering the door lock cylinder mechanism. I took some WD-40, cleaned it out, applied some oil, then retried the lock with my key. Presto! The damn thing started working again.

Now on an unrelated issue while repeatedly testing the newly working door lock while the door was open, I somehow managed to get the door stuck in a locked position (meaning I could no longer close the door). In other words, the metal door latch in the door lock was stuck in a down position. That fix involved simply depressing the metal tab under the metal latch with a flat-head screwdriver. Just apply constant downward pressure and the latch should pop up. You may have to depress the metal tab twice in order to get the latch to pop fully up. I'll put this info in a separate post as well for the sake of Search.

Hope this info helps some future E46er out there.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's how I felt too man. I literally had the driver side door open, and was writing down the VIN Number and production date so that I could order the lock cylinder when I noticed the gunk buildup on the cylinder mechanism. Now if only some WD-40 could get my CD Changer to start recognizing discs again...

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I might be having the same issue on the M3. The door locks most of the time but sometimes just doesn't feel like it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
FWIW, I've always heard that WD-40 isn't really the best lubricant for locks, as it can attract and trap more dust and grime. Powdered graphite is just as slippery and doesn't trap extra dirt.

WD-40 is good for cleaning, though. Wonder if brake cleaner would have worked? Then you can lube with the graphite after the brake cleaner dries...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts