E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any tips on how to adjust the gear shifter linkage on an automatic transmission? I put the transmission manually in park with the linkage loosened, put the lever in park inside the vehicle, and tightened down the linkage from under the car.

I recently swapped transmissions and it seems like the transmission doesn’t engage park correctly. When I try to go into park I get a metallic grinding sound. Shifting thru the gears sounds / feels fine. Each gear engages. But when going back into park it makes the grinding sound.

this is the 2nd time swapping the transmission. The first time I swapped in a good used unit, made the grinding sound in park and neutral. I thought there was an issue with the transmission, so I purchased another used unit. This transmission has the grinding sound in park. I have a feeling that the linkage needs to be fine tuned.

any help would be appreciated.

Gas Automotive exterior Composite material Metal Bumper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Car starts in park with no noise. I can leave it running in park for a few minutes and no issue.

Shifting thru the gears and going back to park it makes the grinding noise. The longer I leave it in park the worse the noise gets.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,424 Posts
The procedure for setting the shift cable is to put the selector in Park, loosen the nut securing the cable to th eshift lever at the transmission, push the shit lever forward towards the Park position, push the cable back then release again, tighten the nut to secure the cable to the shift lever.

It's pretty straight forward, I suspect that your issue is somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,802 Posts
We normally put the car in "D". (Two man job) then loosen the clamp below.
Making the inside is perfectly in "D". Tighten. Then check park, key release and back up lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loosen both nuts and turn the bar until the shifter is where you want it, then tighten the nuts and enjoy.

That's the whole purpose of having the adjustment there.

Don't tamper with the splined shaft--at least from this angle it looks as if moving it a spline or two could cause it to hit the frame when you shift. Even if not, the correct way to adjust a shifter is to use the adjustment ;)

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
109 Posts
I got to relay my experience with park and restart issue, happen all of a sudden on my new purchase of a 2001 coupe. linkages was fine, done a few tranny swaps, so pulled shifter boot and low down forward shifter where park stops three coins had drop in the forward stop, park, cause it to not be in park

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the car put back together and took it for a test drive in the neighborhood. Transmission seems to be working fine now. No grinding in park. I wonder if it had to run thru the gears a little bit to quit the chatter in park?

On a side note, noticed a drop of transmission fluid at the base of the transmission bell housing. Seems to be coming from the torque converter area. Not enough to show up on drive way, just yet. Could it be some residual fluid from when I installed the torque converter? Or am I having another issue? Didn’t notice leak after running car while on jack stands for 15-30 minutes. But it sat over night and drove 100ish miles.

Torque converter is a new rebuilt unit. Also replaced seal on the transmission where the torque converter mates with the transmission.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,802 Posts
Let's not get paranoid yet. Likely residual.

Grinding going into park is often a out of adjustment cable/parking pawl. NOT to be taken lightly. Should it not fully engage (sounds like you got it) the car could roll if on a hill.

Hence why it's important to properly adjust, check D and R and P.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let's not get paranoid yet. Likely residual.

Grinding going into park is often a out of adjustment cable/parking pawl. NOT to be taken lightly. Should it not fully engage (sounds like you got it) the car could roll if on a hill.

Hence why it's important to properly adjust, check D and R and P.
all gears engage smoothly. Shifts like butter when vehicle in motion. I’ll keep an eye on the drip.. hopefully it is just residual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts