E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fanatics!

I need to test my EDS4(torque converter clutch solenoid) and EDS1(main pressure solenoid) solenoids. What is a good way/are the best ways to do so?
Is solenoid failure common?

I believe my tranny is not keeping pressure, and jerks with the TC clutch under slow acceleration. It works fine at fast acceleration. A pressure regulator fix and a new lower front valve body housing is on the way! Just to make sure, I want to test the solenoids. I have no error codes and all gears are working. The only symptom I get is a little bit of jerkiness between R and D, and a little resistance when coming to a complete stop.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reaction Bali, is there also a way to test them when they are still inside the car?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
hanks for your reaction Bali, is there also a way to test them when they are still inside the car?
Solenoid is an electrically control flow valve, so just provide pressurized air to one port and energize the solenoid to see if air flows or stops. Notice: the default state could be opened or closed.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,750 Posts
You never mention the year and model E46. Suggest you do this.
It's much more common to have wiring/connection problems than the AT solenoids actually going bad. I would first check the AT wiring harness and connectors at both ends, at the trans itself and at the EGS inside the electronics box under the hood. Start with continuity checks of the solenoid wires, but do all wires/pins to be complete. Here is the EGS wiring diagrams for reference.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,489 Posts
Thanks for your reaction Bali, is there also a way to test them when they are still inside the car?
Further to Bali's points, I think you can test the solenoid resistance across the relevant pins at the electrical connector at the transmission.

Which transmission is it? GM or ZF?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ZF 5HP19
Serial no. 1060 0000 11

Year 2003
E46 325I

I will check the connections also,but I think a broken connection will cause an error code to appear right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts