BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD

Selling a Benfer Performance carbon fiber intake with some additional goodies. Please read the entire ad before asking questions.

This is a tube style CIA similar to the Dinan tube. The adapter on it is for a 330. I believe you would need a different one for a 325.

What's included:
Benfer Performance CF tube CIA
Custom sized aFe ProDry S filter
aFe red prefilter sock
aFe power restore kit cleaner (1 full bottle and 1/2 bottle - good for 10+ more cleanings)
Custom HID ballast relocation wiring harness
Install bracket and plate (not used on facelift coupes)

Some history:
I fell in love with this intake the first time I heard it in person. IMO one of, if not the best sounding intakes available for the non-M e46. I had a facelift coupe with adaptive bi-xenons which would present some problems trying to run a tube style intake. Of course the other problem was actually getting a hold of one in the first place. After months and months of waiting I finally got my hands on one.

To use a tube intake on an e46 with xenons one has to relocate the xenon ballast on the driver side headlight. Not really a problem for most models as there's some extra wiring that allows the ballast to be moved enough for the tube to fit. This is not the case for facelift coupes. The ballast is attached directly to the bottom of the headlight. There is a female connector on the ballast and and male connector molded into the headlight assembly, meaning there is no wiring when you remove the ballast (sealed headlight). So to make this work I had to buy a wiring harness for the headlight so I could get the required connectors. Then I soldered together a custom wiring harness with the required pins in the connectors. One end plugs into the bottom of the headlight where the ballast would be installed and the other end connects to the ballast. The wiring harness gives you a foot to play with. Much more than the 2 or 3 inches of the other models.

In addition, an off the shelf filter would not fit properly down behind the bumper. I believe this was a facelift coupe with Mtech 2 issue. So I contacted aFe and had them make a custom sized ProDry S filter with the exact dimensions I needed to maximize surface area and still fit. The filter is an oil-free filter so the cleaning kit contains two bottles of cleaner (even though the box shows one bottle of cleaner and one bottle of oil).

My intention with the sale is for someone with a facelift coupe 330 with bi-xenons. Of course anyone can buy it though. The price includes everything and I will not break it up for a lower price. Sorry

There are some scuffs on the tube itself which is unavoidable due to the way these install. However, they are all low on the intake and cannot be seen when installed. Scuffs are shown in the photos below.

Price: $300 shipped cont US w insurance.

Part out thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1047306

Photos of it installed:

This is what it looks like with the bumper off. You DO NOT have to remove the bumper to install it but do will have to remove the wheel lining and brake duct. The brake duct will not be reinstalled.

I can't find a good photo of it with the bumper on but in this photo you can see the red of the prefilter sock by the driver side fog light:

And this is what it sounds like. Not my videos and really doesn't do the sound justice; but nonetheless, gives you something to go on. Both of these have stock exhaust so you can really hear the intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4kcLHfln0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNlisuY8TA

·
Registered
21 Posts
That sounds very nice! Love that deep grrrr it gives, Stock exhaust? Im interested if it can be modified to a 325ci pre-facelift without spending to much more.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds very nice! Love that deep grrrr it gives, Stock exhaust? Im interested if it can be modified to a 325ci pre-facelift without spending to much more.
To work with a 325 you only need a different coupler to connect to the MAF. The piece I'm referring to is the rubber coupler in the 3rd photo. The one shown steps down in size because the 330's MAF was larger. You just need a straight coupler, no change in size, iirc.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Hey man would you be willing to sell that wiring harness separately? I really need that lol

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man would you be willing to sell that wiring harness separately? I really need that lol
What's up man? It's nice seeing some familiar names still here. Being back on the forums selling this stuff is bringing back some good memories. I'm actually getting sad at times thinking of the good ol' days. I've have gone back and re-read some of the epic threads that I left in my subscriptions. Memory lane I tell you.

At any rate, if the intake goes to someone that doesn't have a facelift coupe the wiring harness is yours. I haven't really factored that into the asking price (even though it cost me well over $100 to make).

·
Registered
2 Posts
That intake goes super low, I love it, but just curious if you go through heavy rain, if that could cause an issue...Seems like the best route for a true CIA though.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That intake goes super low, I love it, but just curious if you go through heavy rain, if that could cause an issue...Seems like the best route for a true CIA though.
No problems in the rain. You would literally have to drop the front of the car in a foot deep puddle and completely submerge the filter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm interested, but what is the hose made out of? I'd have to shorten it up some to fit my install. Also, you sure seem to praise it, which begs the question why sell it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm interested, but what is the hose made out of? I'd have to shorten it up some to fit my install. Also, you sure seem to praise it, which begs the question why sell it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BimmerApp mobile app
I'm selling it because I have not owned an e46 since 2011. I was planning on getting another one but got a e90 335 instead.

The tube is made of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So you said the $300 was not in consideration of the custom harness? What if the guy who just wanted the harness were to buy that and I the rest? I've got a pre face lift so it sounds like I wouldn't need the harness.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you said the $300 was not in consideration of the custom harness? What if the guy who just wanted the harness were to buy that and I the rest? I've got a pre face lift so it sounds like I wouldn't need the harness.
I will do that same thing that I mention in my M3 mirror thread. Since I will be having to ship two different things, then the sum of the payments has to equal my asking without shipping. Meaning, if someone wanted to pay $50, lets say, for the harness, then the other person would need to pay $250 plus the cost of shipping. The one buying the harness would pay $55 shipped as I can just drop that in a flat rate envolop/box for $5. As a guesstimate, the shipping on the intake would be in the $15-$25 range depending on the location. Hopefully that makes sense.

Or one can just pay the $300 shipped and I would send the harness to Stav for the cost of shipping as it has no real value since the demand is almost zero.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If someone is serious I would be fine with $55 shipped

What's up man? It's nice seeing some familiar names still here. Being back on the forums selling this stuff is bringing back some good memories. I'm actually getting sad at times thinking of the good ol' days. I've have gone back and re-read some of the epic threads that I left in my subscriptions. Memory lane I tell you.

At any rate, if the intake goes to someone that doesn't have a facelift coupe the wiring harness is yours. I haven't really factored that into the asking price (even though it cost me well over $100 to make).
Yea man! It's funny how long it's been. I still lurk around here and there. This thread makes me miss the old E46F with all these goodies. I want those m3 mirrors too :/ and that diffusor lol. That's awesome you got a 335. Not to get off topic but what year is it? How do you like it?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Also guys this intake sounds nasty. I would take it over my Dinan since it's the exact same thing and doesn't have the cheesy logo on it.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea man! It's funny how long it's been. I still lurk around here and there. This thread makes me miss the old E46F with all these goodies. I want those m3 mirrors too :/ and that diffusor lol. That's awesome you got a 335. Not to get off topic but what year is it? How do you like it?
Ironic. I was clearing out some old PMs today since the limit is so low and some of the last ones I had were from you discussing the exact same m3 mirrors. I didn't open the PMs to read them and I don't remember what we were talking about.

I'm loving the 335 so far. I found a '09 with only 39k miles on it. Black sapphire metallic on natural brown. All options except nav. I had to settle to get the color combo. Besides from the turbos, it feels just like it did working on the e46. I am pissed though that I can't do oil changes without lifting the car like the e46. No dipstick (so stupid) so I can't use my MightyVac. I also don't like the measly 6-8 psi boost that BMW gives you. So first things first is prepping for 18+ psi. Looking for 500+ ponies to the ground.

Also guys this intake sounds nasty. I would take it over my Dinan since it's the exact same thing and doesn't have the cheesy logo on it.
Curious how you are able to get the Dinan to fit without moving the ballast.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious how you are able to get the Dinan to fit without moving the ballast.
To answer my own question I combed through your build thread. Very sneaky what you did there, lol. I never thought to do it that way. However, I much prefer not putting holes in a $1500 light :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts