BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup Guys :hi:

New member and first post here so bear with me. I've been looking into chipping my 2003 325xi for a little while now but haven't really brought myself to doing it. Some people swear by the bav auto power programmer, others love the dinan software, and then of course there is the shark injector. I know there are plenty of other options out there as well these just are the three I have researched the most (and almost bought countless times). Anyway not only am i looking for suggestions of which is the best, but the real question i have is...is it really safe to up my rev limiter? I know its not by much, but I don't want to put too much stress on my poor little 2.5L. Plus the car is an auto transmission so i dont see too much of a benefit of having a wider power band. By the way if this info helps at all, I currently have the afe stage 1 installed (afe heat shield and filter, stock induction tubes) and will be installing a new catback system hopefully later this week. I got a sick deal on ebay from the company CXRacing and thought I'd give it a shot because it wasn't too pricey. Any thoughts, comments or concerns?

-Oliver

·
Registered
29 Posts
Catback on XIs are pretty tricky, and judging by the ebay kit you are probably in for a bit of a headache. If you want to make power its all about FI otherwise you will spend a lot for little gain. I would suggest sticking with aesthetic or sounds mods, but that is only one mans opinion.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
honest opinion, don't bother for any power upgrade on 2.5L. Its just a waste of money. I basically have the same set up of what you're planning to do. Not worth spending the money for little HP gain. Spend the money on looks if anything.

F.I. will give you good amount of HP, but our stock tranny wouldn't be able to hold the increased power. This is where a company called IPT comes in and their tranny are not cheap neither.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
bimmer dude's got the right idea.. its an xi, not an m.. just make it look nice and be happy with the awd handling. this car isnt meant for speed.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I can't make it into a race car. I'm just looking for a little better throttle response, a little power increase, and the beautiful bmw sound. I love my xdrive and am just looking to make it a little zippier. Plus I've done a fair amount of aesthetic mods already. I don't mean to sound too stubborn but in terms of the rev limiter raise, is it safe or no?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
if you raise the rev limited then also get the tranny software to match it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just curious OP- where in MD are you located?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you don't drive around bouncing off the rev limiter, you'll be fine. Hit it once or twice a year and you'll be fine. It all depends on you drive.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so it looks like we've got some Dinan fans here. I honestly feel like I'm leaning towards Conforti's software though just from my outside research. Does anyone have major objections to that or alternate solutions within the same price range?

Bimmerdude-do you know if the shark injector handles the transmission software at all like you suggested? I read somewhere that it alters the shift points as well. What else would you suggest I look for in terms of tranny software? I feel like between Dinan's engine and tranny software I'd end up paying much more than I would for the SHark Injector and I'd barely get any more performance gain. Please guys do not attack with the "well you need to spend serious money to see some gains," I know what it takes, which is why I don't plan on doing much. My car is fun as it is, but I just want it to be a little more fun :).

E-rock- I'm in Pikesville

Lotar-Very good point. I'm hoping with new software there will be less lag when shifting. I know I'm about to get attacked for this one but in the past (I think this has happened twice :( ) Powering out of a turn in second gear, I upshift a little before I hit 6,000 (knowing that it will take probably until 6,500 for the car to recognize my input). Feel free to correct my description of this because to be honest I'm not sure what exactly happened....but....I felt as if I got stuck in an upshift, or caught in between gears. The roar of the engine that i expect to hear only every now and then at my very peak was stuck and the car lost acceleration. Although this probably only lasted for a half a second, it felt like forever as I was pretty worried about my car. Does anyone know what this is? My theory is that I didn't let up on the accelerator enough because I intended to continue accelerating as much as possible. Also, feel free to yell at me for letting this happen, I'm pretty sure this was driver error and therefore, I probably deserve it.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have never heard that the shark injector altering shift points on a automatic transmission. I know it raises the rev limiter to 7000 rpm. Dinan is pricey, that one of the reason that held me back from installing their throttle body. Is it really worth spending $800 for the stage 3 egnine and tranny software?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have never heard that the shark injector altering shift points on a automatic transmission. I know it raises the rev limiter to 7000 rpm. Dinan is pricey, that one of the reason that held me back from installing their throttle body. Is it really worth spending $800 for the stage 3 egnine and tranny software?
not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm running a Shark Injector and K&N CAI on my '02 330Xi. Granted the car has a 5-spd MT but after reading a lot of online reviews I was very surprised at how much more responsive the car is now. I thought for sure it wasn't going to be all that much different than stock but I have to say even if I didn't pick up any low to mid-range torque the throttle response alone makes it much more enjoyable to drive. It pulls much better from 4500 rpm to redline. Downshifts are smoother. I see no reason to bother with a Sprint Booster since installing the Shark Injector.

Of course, this is all my perspective from behind the wheel. The fact is these mods only yield maybe 8-10 hp at the wheels so it's not a huge difference. But the overall smoothness and driveability is like night and day and I would do it again for that reason alone.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,705 Posts
wait, just go get a 330 instead! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 03' 330Xi & I have the Dinan Stage 3 Trans-Re-Flash, and a Custom ECM Re-Flash. Personally I wouldn't pay close to 1K for software upgrades, I had a buddy of mine that works for BMW Parts Center, and got me everything that I need for what the Dealers get it for.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you want some "pep" in that right pedal you will probably favor the Sprint Boosters with the mode adjustment. They run 3-400 and should give you a difference in throttle response but won't give you more power.

If you want a better tone of exhaust do the golf tee mod

-lower the car
-make it looks pretty

.......and call it a day I just realized my car at most has 160hp to the ground:facepalm:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts