BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tons of pics on several different drives and folders. I'm sure most of you have even more. What do you do to organize everything? Is there good software? Picassa?

I'd hate to delete something by mistake or overlook a folder when re-formatting.

:hi:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, in my opinion Lightroom is far and away the best database/developing program available. That said, it is probably much more than you need.

Adobe Bridge paired with Photoshop CS3 is my second choice, but again that may be more than you need/want.

I'm not sure what manufacturer you shoot with, but the packaged software that Canon includes called ZoomBrowser is actually pretty decent.

Sorry, this is a topic that I could probably write about 10 pages on, but 3 lines will have to do for now.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm I know you don't have a Mac, but everything is organized in iPhoto. When uploading, I label the event and type in key words so that I can tag them in case I need to do a search. Everything is organized by film role on my HD. I still however back everything to a DVD every 3 or 6 months, depending on what I shoot. Label the DVD by dates 1/07-6/07 and names/events. Keep DVDs on an old cd bundle tray, you know those blank Cd spindles.

Maybe Lightroom?

·
Modelrater
747 Posts
I use Bridge myself as it comes with Photoshop. It's great because all I use it for is file management, EXIF and all. Photoshop would be my primary editor.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
hmm I know you don't have a Mac, but everything is organized in iPhoto. When uploading, I label the event and type in key words so that I can tag them in case I need to do a search. Everything is organized by film role on my HD. I still however back everything to a DVD every 3 or 6 months, depending on what I shoot. Label the DVD by dates 1/07-6/07 and names/events. Keep DVDs on an old cd bundle tray, you know those blank Cd spindles.
i heard this mac feature is incredible

with the price of detachable hard drives why not use one instead of dvd's?

·
Registered
724 Posts
external hdd's still have a chance of failing on you. it really depends on the person though.

DVD's sometimes fail to burn correctly. There is no 100% foolproof method. I try to use both. Redundancy is always a good idea.

As for the original question, I use Nikon View and Nikon View NX. They are both free and work great as organizers/viewers.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
i heard this mac feature is incredible

with the price of detachable hard drives why not use one instead of dvd's?
yeah what disoboifan said...

I have an external HD. I used them a lot in my recording studio. But I also know to back up my music. One of my buddies just sent 2 of his HDs to the techguy to see if he could extract the files. Five years of recordings stuck/gone. :bawling: this happen to me once and never again. Yes, I have like serveral copies of pics on DVDs

the thing I don't like on the mac is in iPhoto, you can't backup the books you create. I have to save it as a PDF. iPhoto hasn't created a file type for Photobooks. the Apple guy told me to drag copy to a DVD and save that way. Other than that, I like how more organized it is.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You know - I'll second or third the suggestion for Adobe Lightroom. I think you can get a trial download from labs.adobe.com or even adobe.com/downloads.

If Lightroom is overkill - there is also Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition - which has Adobe Photoshop Album rolled into it. It allows you tag your photos with MetaData - and organize albums of photos.

Just my dos pesos.

Ted

·
Registered
724 Posts
The problem with Adobe products is that they are not free. Metedata, tags, sorting, etc can all be done with free software..such as the titles that I mentioned for example.

·
Registered
136 Posts
IDimager is what I use and i'm very happy with this programm :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts