BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started a thread before but I couldn't resolve my problem. I purchased the vehicle from an auction that had a left side damage and the top was working with no problem. after the car went to body shop and came back the top wouldn't open and the red light kept flashing. I manually open the top to check for broken wires but didn't see any and why closing the top I broke one of the latches with too much pressure. so I bought a soft top from the salvage yard and installed it with a members help from this forum (taylor192). After replacing the soft top the red light still kept flashing so I decided to read the codes and I got 3 codes CVM: Open control button permanently active, CVM: close control button permanently active, CVM: Position switch for main pillar, short circuit to ground those were the 3 codes so I clear the codes to see if they will come back but none of them came back and the red light is still flashing. I did hold the button down for more than 20 sec so the module could store the fault codes but nothing was stored. I was the rear seat off and I was checking to see if the motor will move at all but there was no movement at all. All I hear is like a clicking noise coming the left rear storage compartment. I check the continuity of the wires by the module plug looks like 13&14 don't have continuity same with 4&5 so I gotta open all the wire to inspect but my question is if the wires are broken shouldn't the soft top at least unlatch from the windshield and move up about 2 inches? Another thing is I took pictures of the cables under the rear seat looks like one of the cables have more tension on them how can I adjust that? when buttons are pressed there is no noise coming from anything expect 1 click from the storage compartment. I am going to check the relay for the pump to see if its getting 12V of power or not. And after I got the car from an body shop I found a wire in the trunk left side that is not plugged anywhere I will attach it here to see if anyone knows where its going. I would appreciate any help I could get, I want to solve this problem since the weather is warming up here in Jersey. Any local members that knows about this I would love to get together and see if you could help me with it. thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
***Yesterday I opened the soft top manually and I checked for broken wires and in the first bend I saw the brown and yellow line almost fully broken so I fixed the wires but my soft top still didn't work.
***Once I put the soft top in the storage compartment and not lock the rear lid from the under the rear seat, I push the close button and the top starts to close but I have to give a little push to the rear lid very soft pick up.
*** And once it goes up and the rear lid closes and the closing procedure stalls but I let go off the close button and push it down again the soft top continues the closing procedure but very very slow where the rear window part of the soft top goes on the rear lid very slowly.
***to close it it gets stuck on the last step where the first bend touches the windshield and lock the latches it doesn't do that. It stops about 6 inches or so away from the windshield.
***Then I have to close the top manually.
***Once it gets stuck in the last position if I push the open button it does nothing. And if I have the cables under the seat locked the top does nothing either.
***So I am really confused. The tops opens if you are half way thru the closing procedure if the cables under the seat are loosened. But once it's fully closed or almost closed it doesn't nothing. And the motor under the seat doesn't move at all either. Can anyone please help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone? Could it be the motor no good since its not doing anything. No noise or movement at all. I am guessing that's why the latches are not unlocking.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Anyone? Could it be the motor no good since its not doing anything. No noise or movement at all. I am guessing that's why the latches are not unlocking.
No offense... I doubt anyone reads your long unformatted posts. Try being more concise, and/or format your posts (i.e. use bullet points), and you might get better help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks taylor192. I am going to try to post some videos of the car and what's doing. That looks like the best way of showing what's going on with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
***Saturday I opened the soft top manually and I checked for broken wires and in the first bend I saw the brown and yellow line almost fully broken so I fixed the wires but my soft top still didn't work.
***Once I put the soft top in the storage compartment and not lock the rear lid from the under the rear seat, I push the close button and the top starts to close but I have to give a little push to the rear lid very soft pick up.
*** And once it goes up and the rear lid closes and the closing procedure stalls but I let go off the close button and push it down again the soft top continues the closing procedure but very very slow where the rear window part of the soft top goes on the rear lid very slowly.
***to close it it gets stuck on the last step where the first bend touches the windshield and lock the latches it doesn't do that. It stops about 6 inches or so away from the windshield.
***Then I have to close the top manually.
***Once it gets stuck in the last position if I push the open button it does nothing. And if I have the cables under the seat locked the top does nothing either.
***So I am really confused. The tops opens if you are half way thru the closing procedure if the cables under the seat are loosened. But once it's fully closed or almost closed it doesn't nothing. And the motor under the seat doesn't move at all either.

I am thinking that it could be the motor since there is no movement there at all.
or could it be the main pillar sensor?

I will upload some videos showing the roof closing procedures once I get the top opened again tomorrow.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You swapped the top right? Cause the front latches were broken? Perhaps it's time to swap the original top back in, and just swap the latches.

You're fighting too many issues at once.

Does the top ever fully close? If not, and it stops near the windshield, you have broken wires. Visually inspecting and fixing a few is NOT enough. I cannot stress that enough it seems. Likely several of the wires are broken internally and are making just enough contact during some steps of operation, yet not enough in all steps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You swapped the top right? Cause the front latches were broken? Perhaps it's time to swap the original top back in, and just swap the latches.

You're fighting too many issues at once.

Does the top ever fully close? If not, and it stops near the windshield, you have broken wires. Visually inspecting and fixing a few is NOT enough. I cannot stress that enough it seems. Likely several of the wires are broken internally and are making just enough contact during some steps of operation, yet not enough in all steps.
I did swap the top yes but not just because the latches were broken that wasn't working either and the red light was blinking.

Top does not fully close, it does stop near the windshield. so you recommend that I should fix all the wires that by the first bend where I had the other wire fixed?

Isn't the motor supposed to somehow turn when I am trying to put the top up from the storage compartment?

its raining here today so I cant open the roof manually and take a video of it but that's what I want to do tomorrow and ill post some videos may be that would make it easier for guys to guess on the problem.

Thanks again for your help Taylor192

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Yes, fix all wires. This includes testing them for continuity as they may be broken elsewhere.

Which motor are you referencing? Pump? Rear latches (under rear seat)? Front latches?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Rear latches under the seat taylor192
From fully open, what is the sequence you're experiencing?
1. Push close button
2. Wait period of time?
3. Red light blinks?

When you fully open the top, do you ensure the storage lid is locked down properly? You can do this by manually turning the motor under the rear seat while pushing down on the lid until the button clicks in place.

Why do that? There is a single sensor on the motor. I'm not sure how the CVM uses it, to determine if locked or open, or both. My guess is that if the lid is not locked down properly the CVM may think its already unlocked and thus not turn the motor.

Have you read the codes again?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From fully open, what is the sequence you're experiencing?
1. Push close button
2. Wait period of time?
3. Red light blinks?

When you fully open the top, do you ensure the storage lid is locked down properly? You can do this by manually turning the motor under the rear seat while pushing down on the lid until the button clicks in place.

Why do that? There is a single sensor on the motor. I'm not sure how the CVM uses it, to determine if locked or open, or both. My guess is that if the lid is not locked down properly the CVM may think its already unlocked and thus not turn the motor.

Have you read the codes again?
Red Light is always blinking as soon as I put the key in the ignition the light starts to blink.
When I open the top fully and lock it in the storage compartment and push close button, it does not close there is no movement. When I unlock the rear latches from under the rear seat and push the close button it closes.
When the storage lid goes down on the closing procedure the closing procedure stops.
I have move my finger from close button and push it again for it to continue but this time the soft top where the rear window is goes down very very slow.
Once its fully closed from the back the front latches are about 6 inches away from the windshield and the procedure stops again and doesn't do anything after.
But another thing is taylor192 when closing the soft top before it gets to the last procedure like where the latches are going to lock to the windshield if I push the open button the roof opens. but once it stops it doesn't do anything I have to try to open it before it fully stops.

when I try to read the codes there was none.

I was thinking there could be something wrong with the motor under the seat since its not unlatching the lid. No grinding noise or anything coming from it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If the red light blinks as soon as you put the key in the ignition, there should be a code stored, operation locked out, and pushing the buttons does nothing... So I don't understand how you're operating the top at all.

Please be more thorough in documenting whay is going on and you'll get better help.

I would eliminate one variable at a time... Although in swapping the top you've changed so many things it's going to be hard to isolate.

Please start with electrically testing all wires in the harness. Cut them at the first bend, check continuity back to the CVM plug, and splice in new wire at the first bend. That will at least eliminate the harness and wire breaks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the red light blinks as soon as you put the key in the ignition, there should be a code stored, operation locked out, and pushing the buttons does nothing... So I don't understand how you're operating the top at all.

Please be more thorough in documenting whay is going on and you'll get better help.

I would eliminate one variable at a time... Although in swapping the top you've changed so many things it's going to be hard to isolate.

Please start with electrically testing all wires in the harness. Cut them at the first bend, check continuity back to the CVM plug, and splice in new wire at the first bend. That will at least eliminate the harness and wire breaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q60Xi5ADa5Y&feature=youtu.be
This is the video I recorded this weekend. the cables under the rear sear were loose and the latches on the rear lid were unlocked.

I scanned the cvm I got these codes:
000045: CVM: valve, retract clamping bracket, open circuit
000048: CVM: valve, extend clamping bracket, open circuit
00004c: CVM: valve, main pillar, open circuit
000018: CVM: position switch for tension bar, open circuit

these are all new codes I got this past saturday

·
Registered
2003 325Ci Convertible
144 Posts
According to the youtube video he sold it. First step is to read the codes then report back. INPA / BMW Scanner can do that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts