E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-

Could somebody please tell me what the sock for a CAI does? If it doesn't keep out water...wouldn't it just reduce the engine's ability to breathe? What's the advantage?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but I just don't get it.

TIA

·
ACS Fanatics
635 Posts
keep water out

Dunno about decrease performance or not. It shouldnt decrease performance though

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
It is a breatheable membrane that repels water. I believe it works under the premise of the surface tension of water.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so is it worth getting one? i have the Dinan CAI...but after reading the thread about the guy getting water into his engine i'm scared.... is it really going to make a difference?

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
you'd pretty much have to submerge the filer (or so they say) I've run mine without a sock in a crazy downpour with no issues.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dinan330ci said:
so is it worth getting one? i have the Dinan CAI...but after reading the thread about the guy getting water into his engine i'm scared.... is it really going to make a difference?
It's 20 bucks... if it rains enough that there are deep puddles, then yes. If there aren't, still a yes because it's cool. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts