BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local shop installed a remote starter and alarm this week and since then have not been able to get the car started. The dash lights illuminate when the key is turned on, the door locks all work.

Here's what's been tried so far:

3 different keys with the same results have been tried.
The BMW immobilizer has been bypassed - car cranks but doesn't turn over.
The remote starter/alarm has been removed and the results are the same.
Battery has been checked.

These guys are now 3 days into trying to get my car started. Please make any valid suggestions.

Is it possible to reprogram the keys/ews system without going to a dealership?

Do you think its the key/ews system?

Is there a test I can run to validate the keys and computer for compatability/usability?

Did they fry something?

Any valid suggestion is worth making. I have yet to drive my new Baby and my patience is running out.

:banghead:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
How about removing the alarm system and see if it returns back to normal?

Also, I know for the remote starter in my car, it has a special feature to detect if your transmission is in neutral, otherwise it won't allow the car to start.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I left my crystal ball at work, so I cannot at this time tell you what exactly they messed up. Here's what I would do, make the shop cover the costs of a flatbed to the dealer and repair costs of their botched installation.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I left my crystal ball at work, so I cannot at this time tell you what exactly they messed up. Here's what I would do, make the shop cover the costs of a flatbed to the dealer and repair costs of their botched installation.
Couldn't agree more...make THEM fix it...you just drink a cold one while they sweat it out.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
check all fuse in the glove box to see if any was blown.

Check the ECU box to see if fuses are blown there too.

If your car doesn't jump start with a cable jumper. Then likely at the point of all those electronics installed in your vehicle, they might have shorted your "starter"

Get an OBD2 reader just to make sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the flatbed yesterday...

The dealership tells me it's the "Antenna Ring" that's damaged (allows communication between the key and the immobilizer). Overnighted one for an install today...I'll keep you posted.

Did any of you ever hear of an "Antenna Ring"

·
Registered
123 Posts
The dealership tells me it's the "Antenna Ring" that's damaged (allows communication between the key and the immobilizer). Overnighted one for an install today...I'll keep you posted.

Did any of you ever hear of an "Antenna Ring"
Yeah, the antenna ring is an rfid reader that confirms the code on your key to make sure its the proper one. Without it, its immobilized. I have the part number around here somewhere, two seconds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Either tap the two green ignition wires under the dash to a secondary antenna ring with a spare key taped into it (hide it in the dash) or buy a commercial bypass

Where can I get a commercial bypass? My car will not start with either key. It was an overnight thing. Everything works, just won't fire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Best idea is as was suggeted forget the bypass and buy another rfd antenna, usea spare key, cut approximately drill a couple of holes, through the blade so if ever found it cannot be used. wrap it itnthe rfd and you nned to use two relays to swap the circuit of which key is in place when needed to start.
here is proof that it will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_oFdlpSw&feature=quicklist
please comments!!!! and rating welcomed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts