BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it came with 7 miles and on the way back i was goin about 120 mph in 6th gear at about 3.5k -4k rpm uhhh am i ****ing my car up? cause iheard only thing that matters during break in is the rpm. i sumtimes overrevved at low speeds (20-40) and went up to 5k or 6k. can sum1 give me proper break in procedure? my salesmen didnt really go over stuff. theres about 142 miles on the car now.

·
923 Posts
There's a BIG Sticker on the upper left corner of your windshield that says (under 4500RPM and UNDER 100 MPH).. Did you not see this?

Read your manual also..

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
why would anyone want to drive 120 mph just for the hell of it!?! that is obviously not the right way to break the car in, but to each his own.

·
Registered
836 Posts
dont worry , i think the breaking in **** is bs. As long as your first 100 miles are driven ok, to not **** up the gaskets everything will be fine!

·
'a certain moderator'
35,565 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it

i hit 110 in the first week i had my car, and she is still running 2 years later :D

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,684 Posts
When I got my car about 2 months ago, my saleslady said that the new cars "come broken in" :wtf: I dont know how thats possible, but when she took me to get my free tank of gas, she was shifting at 5-6k RPM...so I dk.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You're doing the right thing by kicking it up to the higher gears. Just keep it below 4500 or so and leave the sport button off until 1200. I passed 6000 a few times by accident during my break-in, it's not the end of the world, things happen.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Break in: There are generally 2 acceptted methods:

The hard break in: It's alot like you're already doing. Drive the **** out of it from the beginning. Its generally thought and I've seen some tests that are done as scientifically as possible using 2 identical cars (as identical as possible) that a hard break in will give you more power but with worse mileage, wear etc.

The break in everyone knows: Generally the RPMs differ but usually keep it under 3/4 K for a specified number of miles. I don't know what that is for an M3, but for my father's 911 Turbo it was under 4grande for 2000 miles (which really sucked). You also don't want o cruise at the same RPM for long periods. You want to vary the RPM to give the engine maximum flexibility over and through out the rev range. If you truly care about your car this is the way to do it. I also like to "stretch" the motor starting about 1/2 way through break-in which means occasionally going past the rev limit.

When I broke in my ZHP I kept it under 3 more or less for 1200 miles, and then I added another 400 of keeping it under 5.

Break in allows oil to get into every little crevice in the motor as well as letting the cylinder etc self polish. The longevity of your motor is greatly increased.

·
Registered
457 Posts
breakin in from what dealer/book says is BS, just make sure the car is warm up properly and that u change ur oil twice every interval.:thumbup: instead of once:thumbdwn:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
congtr. and welcome to the m family

keep it under 100 for the first 1,250 miles and 132 untill3,200 miles then you can break the clock hehehe.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: congtr. and welcome to the m family

bobm3 said:
keep it under 100 for the first 1,250 miles and 132 untill3,200 miles then you can break the clock hehehe.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:
RPM matter too! Don't forget that. Doing 90 in 2nd gear ata screaming 7k is NOT a good idea.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok ill keep it down from now on, do you think i might have harmed the car already? cuz i mean i paid like 56k no including taxes the baby MUST be able to take summm load right

·
Registered
296 Posts
DBX said:
ok ill keep it down from now on, do you think i might have harmed the car already? cuz i mean i paid like 56k no including taxes the baby MUST be able to take summm load right
Yeah you'll be ok, just don't strech it for the next few hundred miles ok? Baby that beautiful machine. It'll be begin for it later.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Re: Re: congtr. and welcome to the m family

RebelYell said:

RPM matter too! Don't forget that. Doing 90 in 2nd gear ata screaming 7k is NOT a good idea.
LoL damn, you know your cars a beast when you can do 90mph in 2nd gear

·
Registered
75 Posts
DBX,

It's funny how some without M3's say the break in period is BS... You need to take it easy for the first few hundred miles... You will gradually feel a difference, and you can hear a difference too. Keep the RPM's varied to create the proper seals for the bearings. You will find that most M3 owners that rip on their car straight off the lot will have issues with the motor burning excessive amounts of oil. I have 12K on my car and I followed the Break-In procedures pretty closely... But I didn't baby the car either. My car has not burned any oil, and I drive it hard. All I'm saying is that you need to let your engine loosen up a little... Same with your differential, but that will be broken in without much thought. Think about it, 1,200 miles of easy driving, varying RPM's and then you can enjoy 100K plus miles of fun... Take it up to 7,900 RPM all you want after that.

PM me if you would like more detailed information about the Break-In procedure. I have seen a total of five E46 M3's go through the 1,200 mile Break-in. Each one was done slightly differently and the results start to show at around 5K miles.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
DBX said:

No offense, but if you paid 56k before taxes for a car YOU should know the break in procedure.

·
P.I.M.P.
2,459 Posts
GeoMystic said:

No offense, but if you paid 56k before taxes for a car YOU should know the break in procedure.
Or glimpsed at the owners manual......
The ironic thing is, this is like one of the most common questions asked here, but no one bothers to read the manual.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: Re: Re: congtr. and welcome to the m family

egyptnads said:

LoL damn, you know your cars a beast when you can do 90mph in 2nd gear
You know its a real beast when you can do 90 in 1st! :yikes: :evil:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts