E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coca Cola is wonderful stuff, but the lovely, curvaceous shape of the bottle is terrible in our e46 cupholders. It will rock back and forth through turns, getting in the way of my elbow when I go to shift gears. Annoying but no big deal. However, let that thing get below 30% full, don't take a hard turn with the cap off. Somebody's lap will get sticky. Blerg.

Complaint over.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I never get the euro tray thing. I like my cupholders. I wonder if people do it cause it's "euro" and not because of function ^(Not you specifically just in general)
haha I usually only have water bottles so I can just chuck it on the passenger seat. I like the extra storage since there's so little storage to hide stuff in our cars, I also have an aux cable that pops out there :)

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
haha I usually only have water bottles so I can just chuck it on the passenger seat. I like the extra storage since there's so little storage to hide stuff in our cars, I also have an aux cable that pops out there :)
my aux cable comes out of the sunglass holder. havent found another spot to use.

I'd rather have my water bottles mashed into a cup holder, over them rolling around on the passenger seat/floor..

But I hear ya on having the extra storage with the euro tray..
+1 on the bottles. plus if you have a lady in the car, its good she has somewhere to put her drink. :eeps:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine came with the tray. I didn't have an option for the cup holders. I guess since my car was custom ordered and the sales man was my best bud from high school be got my some call European spec options but my 2001 330Ci had the cup holder and I had no problem with them.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
One of my first mods was to get rid of the cup holders and install the Euro tray. It's a great storage space with a lid. Drinks, no I'm driving and I'll stop if I'm hungry, thirsty or need a break.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,311 Posts
Those who ever experienced E39 cupholders... It's like they were designed so you wouldn't use them. Placement, actual function, etc. Now that I think of it maybe they meant it that way.

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,968 Posts
I am planning to order the eurotray and to try to make a hybrid setup: one cupholder plus the folding cover part of the eurotray.
Usually I don't drink in my car, but do need to have a high caffeine beverage on some long trips.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I swapped to the euro tray a long time ago and will never swap back though I still have the cupholders. I have needed to replace the roller top once (after 6 years) due to the first one becoming old and brittle from lots of use and sun exposure. This will become a normal replacement over time.
It is true that you can fit some bottles in the tray quite well if so desired but I prefer not to.
Food and drinks (other than water w/cap) are rarely inside of the vehicle so this has worked out very well for me.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
You can fit it in there, but I'm sure it won't be secure. I am just like you. I keep a sealed bottle in the car for my drinks ever since swapping over to the euro tray.

Much better anyway. No chance or reason to have big spills in the car.

·
Registered
DDing an only somewhat-janky four-season miata
12,042 Posts
Those who ever experienced E39 cupholders... It's like they were designed so you wouldn't use them. Placement, actual function, etc. Now that I think of it maybe they meant it that way.
wasn't it the E90 cupholders that popped out of the dash? The passenger side one was strategically placed so that if someone left a drink in there, then got in or out of the car, they would either knock the drink out of the holder or break the whole thing off.

Germans put cupholders in the cars specifically for Americans, then Americans go and get rid of the cupholders.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.