BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the first weekend of the new year, I went on a snowboarding trip to Stowe Resort in Vermont with a new set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50’s. :thumbup:

The purpose of this thread is twofold: 1. To share my experience snowboarding (and snowmobiling!) 2. Do an unofficial review of the Blizzak WS-50’s.

Born and raised in Orange County, I never saw much snow (except on occasional trips to Big Bear or Mammoth). However, after graduating school in Boston, it was my first time driving in the snow in the infamous New England weather. Needless to say, I was set on purchasing snow tires because I did not want to risk the safety of my precious E46. ;)

I chose the WS-50’s after consulting with online reviews, mostly from Tirerack.com (a close second was the LM-22’s). I decided on this particular model due to its reputation as a dedicated snow tire with excellent handling on snow and ice. In addition, it offers sizes made for lower profile cars; I got 225/45/17” mounted on my stock rims. I did not want to get another set of rims only because I can’t stand the thought of my Style-44’s sitting in a storage bin for an entire season. :cry:

The first day I went snowmobiling...45mph on a snowmobile sure seems a lot faster than sitting inside your bimmer…Wow, what a rush... :lmao:

The second day, I awoke to 3 FEET OF SNOW!!! It was incredible…after sitting wide-mouthed in front of the window gazing at the snow-covered mountains, I went to go check on my bimmer. It was completely covered in 3” of snow! (Pictures below) I could not see one inch of Jet Black. After 30 minutes of shoveling out the car, it took a while because I had to rock the car out of the snow. Then we headed for the slopes. To sum up my time on the mountain: 3” of snow is any snowboarder/skier’s dream.

The review:

Since I’ve only tried one model of winter tires, maybe this review will be biased; I have nothing to compare it with. However, I will state my opinion as a first time driver on snow.

So far, I’ve experienced many different types of winter weather conditions this season, and I’ve seen these tires handle very well. They are not without their limitations, but I think they are mostly due to their size (from what I understand, 16” and smaller make better snow tires). On top of freshly plowed snow in the city, driving is a piece of cake. Put them in the deep snow or ice, they perform less than ideal.

I would like to say, that DSC is ABSOLUTELY necessary when driving on snow. You turn it off, your tire will spin out of control, causing your car sway side-to-side. The only time it is advantageous to turn them on is if you’re stuck in snow (from a complete stop). The DSC won’t let your tires spin, making it impossible to muscle your way out of the snow. I also turned off the DSC when I was on a 45 degree slope and could not go any further on the hill. The spinning tires plowed through the snow and got me uphill. In addition, be very careful on ice because anything short of studs or chains, you’re gonna slip around.

I still think the WS-50’s are amazing performers. I was keeping up with all the:

Vehicle breakdown in Vermont (from my mental count)
80% - SUV’s & trucks
15% - Subaru’s
5% - Audi Quattro’s & Other
0.001% - BMW’s

I would definitely recommend these tires and give them my two thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup: I strongly suggest that any BMW owner who drives in the snow buy a set of dedicated winter tires.

Hope that wasn’t too long! :D

·
'a certain moderator'
38,212 Posts
damn, that is some DEEP snow, how did ur bimmer ever get out of that??? i have snows on my 325, but i still doubt i would be able to power my way thru something that deep.

-brendan

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
rAyZ said:
im goin' snowboardin' this weekend ... lots of powder up there in Tahoe .. it's gonna b great!
:huh: I thought you were being sarcastic that you don't get any snow. Nevermind...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Jspeed said:

:huh: I thought you were being sarcastic that you don't get any snow. Nevermind...
I dun get any snow around the area that im living at...i dun think it will ever snow here!!!
Lake Tahoe is on the boarder of CA and Neveda ... so it's like a 4 hr drive for me, but i ain't takin' my car though!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey rAyZ,

I wasn't going more than 50mph or else I might of ended up in the snow drifts... I saw 3 SUV's stuck on the sides of the highway on the way home...one upside down!

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,848 Posts
:yikes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts