BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm wondering how is our car in the snow with snow tires and 18" rims???
Thanks Zanni

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get a full set of snow tires with a set of 17" rims go as narrow as possible 225/45/17 you will do fine. i drove through snow that was 2 inches above my front bumper last year. car is great in snow with a good set of blizzacks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a full set of snow tires with a set of 17" rims go as narrow as possible 225/45/17 you will do fine. i drove through snow that was 2 inches above my front bumper last year. car is great in snow with a good set of blizzacks
Thanks bro for your help.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
339 Posts
I drove for one winter in Boston with a set of 17" and dedicated snow tires. I beat AWD cars :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove for one winter in Boston with a set of 17" and dedicated snow tires. I beat AWD cars :)
Psssss that's awesome bro !!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Without snow tires, this car might as well have no wheels during the snow. I *attempted* to drive last year with about an inch on the ground on stock 18s and regular tires and after my 2nd accidental donut, I decided that it probably wasn't safe to drive.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I drive mine all year round. Get yourself a set of BLIZZAK's or a set of all season tires (Conti DWS) geared more towards wet/snow and you'll be fine if you take your time and remember, your destination will be there when you get there. Rushing will cause you to loose time in many different ways, most likely by having an accident.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm glad I saw this post because I just picked up a set of 17's with 225/45/17 snow tires for the winter. It should be a fun time when the snows hit up here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would stay away from All-Seasons as a great majority of them aren't geared towards snow. Get a set of dedicated snow tires please. As mentioned before, get a much narrower tire than stock size as a wider tire will just "float" above the snow. I've used Hankook Icebears in the past and really like them; Blizzaks are good, but expensive.

Here's a clip from a TireRack test, you be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to thank you all for your advice!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What offset 17's would fit the M?
Im looking into winter tires and cant seem to find any threads about offsets for 17's

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Anyone can correct me here but I think if you get the same offsets as the front tires (somewhere around ET40) and spacers then you are okay.

·
Registered
142 Posts
sorry to say but Pirellis are totally utter crap.

I don't know if they're available in the US but last winter i had Nokian Hakkapellita WR G2 winter tires... considering our climate here in Estonia, one of the best winter tires of all.

Plus the pattern looks sweet aswell

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is an awesome picture!

Last winter I used stock 18's with 255 in the rear and ran with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's....That was the worst idea ever.

I would stick with 17's and 225 and some Blizzaks.
I have 245 Dunlop M3s in the rear and had absolutely no trouble driving through snow at all. Ideally the narrower the winter tire, the better. But since My car spends about 95% of the time on dry asphalt and sees occasional snow, I am happy with my wider setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to say but Pirellis are totally utter crap.

I don't know if they're available in the US but last winter i had Nokian Hakkapellita WR G2 winter tires... considering our climate here in Estonia, one of the best winter tires of all.

Plus the pattern looks sweet aswell
Absolutely agree on these being the best tires available for the snow. They dont have the G2s here in the US but you can get Hakkapellitas and they are amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 245 Dunlop M3s in the rear and had absolutely no trouble driving through snow at all. Ideally the narrower the winter tire, the better. But since My car spends about 95% of the time on dry asphalt and sees occasional snow, I am happy with my wider setup.
Yep, same here. I have 255 Dunlops on a 10 inch wheel and they are fine in the snow. Regardless of the tire, driving habits have to change quite a bit when its snowing out. Yes, the car does perform well with a set of snows but you cant just go mashing the gas pedal at every light and expect the car to behave normally.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts